Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • rest, ice, stretching, osteopath, drugs – need more…..
  • iainc

…..if I’m to get this back out of spasm and ride Etape Caedonia on Sunday 😯

At age 47 I get periods of back pain, which are generally controllable through rigorous core stability work, supplements, swimming and riding. Maybe around once a year i get a flare up, from an instant bad movement, then a few days of spasm, then a less painful few days of calming down.

so I ‘popped’ it on Monday morning, moving a heavy planter DOH, and still in spasm, although maybe easing a touch last few hrs. On hourly ice, stretching (Mackenzie method), diclofenac, osteopath last night…… I suspect I am running out of time for a 5 hr road ride at the weekend tho….

MTFU aint working, any other ideas ?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cider.

iainc

Greg – I’m ‘working from home’ so that could be dangerous 😆

– I did try 1/3 bottle of Grouse Monday night – slept well !

(and I’m hoping to get a call to go pick up ‘reverbed’ Soul this afternoon)

Nick

Daizepam

Don’t just work on your abs to improve core strength, do exercises to increase your back strength too.

iainc

Nick – hard to get hold of, but will go GP tomorrow if no better. I do a heap of stuff on swiss ball, but in hindsight have been a bit lazy with it last few months…

stabilizers

Cocodamol from your pharmacist.
    It will for the most part get rid of the pain and help get rid of the spasm as a result. From personal experience (49) and I get the same issues as yourself. If you are relaxed and not anticipating the pain it will go away much quicker.

soobalias
    Free Member

amazing how many people only want to do specific exercises that deal with their back issues, when they are in pain.

maintenance.

good luck fixing it before the weekend.

iainc

amazing how many people only want to do specific exercises that deal with their back issues, when they are in pain.

err, I think what I said is that I do loads of core stability exercises, which generally help my poor back 😆

anyway, I think you are right to suspect I’ll not get it sorted fo ra 5 hr road ride on Sunday !

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have similar bad back (perhaps not as bad as yours), no magic remedies I’ve found for a quick fix. Icing is best bet and fingers crossed, perhaps a massage to try and stop the “muscle lock”. Trying to hide the pain with drugs and then riding 5hrs is only going to make it much worse, I think you already know this though.

soobalias
    Free Member

funny i thought you said

I do a heap of stuff on swiss ball, but in hindsight have been a bit lazy with it last few months…

my missus is the same, if she jogs* she doesnt get back pain….. so what happens is she jogs, her back gets better, she gets lazy, her back hurts, she remembers to jog

*about 20mins slow paced, couple of times a week.

petergee
    Free Member

null
    Ever had a slipped disc? Maybe not but this is worth a listen – yesterday’s PM on Radio 4 – 15 minutes in.

chakaping
    Free Member

Daizepam

Diazepam +100

Try not to look liek too much of a junkie when you go to the GP though!

Edit: I don’t mean take 100, that would be excessive. Just that it’s by far the best short-term fix for back spasm I have found.

iainc

soobalias – you are right, I am grumpy with a sore back and not likely to be doing the ride, hence my grumpyness 8)

Trekster

Diazepam …is that the one that makes you feel all light and fluffy? I got something from the doc years ago when
    I popped my already knackered back during a house move, cookers and washing machines are heavy and awkward to get up steps and through doors on your own! After a week or so’s rest I went for a walk with MrsT and I felt weirdly light and fluffy!! Finished to packet and took no more. Cocodamol also doesn’t work for me.
    Could never enter events because I never knew when it would pop. Also got an upper back/neck issue which is probably as a result of the various car crashes I have been in. One was during a rally, hit a big, big tree at about 60mph 😳

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds like the way diclofenac (voltarol) makes me feel after a few days’ use Trekster. Hate the stuff.

Diazepam is valium.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

You’re probably best off with brufen over the counter. Or if you can get a script some tramadol.

iainc

am full of diclofenac, which I get on prescription for such events, plus found some paracetemol in the cupboard, which is helping. Wife will pick up some co-codamol for me on way home. Thanks for all the ideas – will make a call on it tomorrow, riding as part of a group, so need to sort accomodation/transport if I wuss out !

Sandwich

Does your osteopath do acupuncture? Have some of that, it allows them to do a bit more to you and you should be more moveable for 24 hours. Can make you sweat a bit though if they use some of the old school stuff along with the modern.
    Alternate ibuprofen with coediene/paracetamol pain-killers used to work for me too. You’ll bung up mind.

iainc

Aaaahhhhh….. Cocodomol….spasms subsiding 🙂

stabilizers

Cool!
    Keep taking them through the weekend. Dont let the pain come back. The muscles will be tender for a bit.
    You should still be able to do the Etape though

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘rest, ice, stretching, osteopath, drugs – need more…..’ is closed to new replies.