Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Resigning from a job etiquette?
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

In the lucky position of starting a new job 1st April.
    My company requires 4 weeks notice, so will be handing this in tomorrow.

What exactly do i need to say in my resignation letter? Im inclined to keep it brief and to the point. i.e. I will be leaving on 1/4/10 and this letter is to give the required 4 weeks notice of my intention to quit. Is there anything i should or shouldn't say?
    Also, by the end of the month I will have 3 accrued days of holiday left. Can i give in my notice and tell them my last working day will be Fri 26th and then taking my outstanding 3 days holiday 29-31st?

Your thoughts please?

TIA

djglover
    Free Member

Keep it polite, leave on good terms so you don't burn your bridges.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

As short and to the point as you can make it. And you can state that you believe your last working day to be the 26th and ask that they confirm this to you in writing as soon as possible.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

& don't say, 'HA!, so you can stuff it up your ringpiece', In case you ever need to go back.

sofatester
    Free Member

I will be leaving on 1/4/10 and this letter is to give the required 4 weeks notice of my intention to quit finish working for you.

That should do the trick. Plus add a sentence about your holiday entitlement, perhaps also a line about how you have enjoyed working for your current employer (without sounding like a bottom feeder of course).

Keep working effectively until the day you leave. You never know who is watching and remembers a good egg.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I have no intention of being anything other the polite and to the point. Even though i'd love to tell one particular person EXACTLY what I think of them and their management abilities.

ski
    Free Member

djglover – Member

Or:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZpO9sx6Pys

😉

thepurist

You could add "and due to my outstanding leave entitlement my last working day will be…." though that sort of thing normally gets dealt with by HR.

BigJohn

1st April is the day before Good Friday. I would tell them you are officially leaving on 7th April – then you will be paid for the Easter Holidays and still be able to start work on the 1st.

ourmaninthenorth

I shall be doing this on Monday. 😀

Last time I did it, it said something along the lines: This letter constitutes 3* months' notice of my resignation as an employee of [NAME OF EMPLOYER]. Accordingly, I calculate my last working day, subject to agreement in respect of accrued holidays for the period, to be [DATE].

You can then go on about how you're looking forward to your new challenge, etc., but unless the letter is for your boss (in which case, get off the fence or stay right on it), it's just for HR recortds, so doesn't need to have any more detail.

Save the slaggging of key management imbeciles for your leaving drinks. 🙂

*I'm now up to 4 months' notice. I reckon I'll do 4 weeks.

jon1973
    Free Member

You could add "and due to my outstanding leave entitlement my last working day will be…."

Out of interest, are they under any obligation to allow you to take any outstanding leave from you leaving date or can they insist you work the full month and pay you for the leave?

ourmaninthenorth

In the lucky position of starting a new job 1st April.

Er, in which case, you need to leave the day before (31 March). You need to hand your notice in today…!

ourmaninthenorth

Out of interest, are they under any obligation to allow you to take any outstanding leave from you leaving date or can they insist you work the full month and pay you for the leave?

Largely down to the employment contract, but in essence they probably can in this case (I reckon they would only come unstuck if it meant you could exercise all your statutory leave in a year).

tonyg2003

Be polite – tell them it's been a hugely difficult decision and wish them good luck in future busines etc…. Its a small world. It's surprising how sometimes people you didn't get on with when you worked with them, you get on with afterwards.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I calculate 28 days (4 weeks) is tomorrow.
    Other than that OMITN your suggested letter seems spot on, thanks!

ctznsmith
    Free Member

I did this last week…short, to the point. Say what you think is your last day and get them to confirm.

I had to give a months notice so I start on the 1st too. 🙂

antigee

Be polite – tell them it's been a hugely difficult decision and wish them good luck in future busines etc…. Its a small world. It's surprising how sometimes people you didn't get on with when you worked with them, you get on with afterwards

i remember one guy leaving and telling all and sundry (including me) they were all @rseh0les and leaving his company car locked with the engine running jammed against the front door

when the group i worked for bought the company he'd gone to a few months later and we were reintroduced I nearly wet myself laughing

ourmaninthenorth

I calculate 28 days (4 weeks) is tomorrow.

One of those things that's in the construciton of the wording of the agreement. Today is the safer option, but in reality they won't care.

Good luck.

jonb
    Free Member

Go with a letter and do it in person. Then hand them the letter to make it official.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.

We have no regular HR presense, so my line manager will have to do.

br
    Free Member

Always be polite and thank them.

I've never discussed when my last day was, usually hopeful they'll pay me up straight away, anyway that's HR's job – plus any monies due.

And about a few days before leaving, send an email to the people you've actually enjoyed working with, thanking them.

ourmaninthenorth

And about a few days before leaving, send an email to the people you've actually enjoyed working with, thanking them.

Somone who left here relatively recently, left hand written notes for various people. A nice touch, I thought, and something I intend to do.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hmm, that went well…… 😐

ART

What happened then?

bigyinn
    Free Member

After 8 years in the job im being treated like a virtual criminal. Webmail access being denied, suspected monitoring of e-mails sent to my work address, VPN access removed, told i may be asked to leave the building immediately.
    I accept business data needs to be protected etc, but i object to it being done in such a clandestine fashion.
    Would i REALLY try and havest company data after i'd declared i would be resigning? How stupid do they think i am? Wnakers!

simon_g

Standard practice in many industries now. You get to spend a month riding your bike though and getting paid for it – sadly I've not left anywhere yet that didn't want me to keep working for them till the last second!

ourmaninthenorth

Bad luck bigyinn, but roll with it.

I'm resigning on Monday, and will make a point of ensuring that all my dealings with firm property are above board from then on so as to avoid any sillyness like that.

If you get to leave immediately (are you still there?) then you'll be paid for 4 weeks while not having to go to work. I've had that before, and it's ace..! Ride, ride, ride..! 😀

br
    Free Member

Result.

My dad ran a car factory, and whenever anyone resigned they went (with their money) that afternoon. No QA issues. He could never understand why anyone would keep on an IT guy or equivilent.

bigyinn
    Free Member

No doubt they'll make me work my notice. Not fair, I wanna go play! Will find out for sure tomorrow.

darrell
    Free Member

go to the doctor and say that the Management at your current job are treating you badly because you have resigned and you are stressed and unable to work. Get a sick note, go ride your bike. job done.

cp

bigyin – you moving to a competitor? Standard practice these days – often asked to leave straight away, but paid notice period.

ourmaninthenorth

No doubt they'll make me work my notice. Not fair, I wanna go play! Will find out for sure tomorrow.

Hope it goes well. Remember, if they want you off the premises earlier, they still owe you for your notice period, so be mindful of "agreeing" to leave without a commitment from them that they are paying you in lieu of notice.

Otherwise, mentally switch off and turn up to work with a good book. Photocopy it, and then make out like you are reading a report.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

very true, you never know whats down the road…..

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Resigning from a job etiquette?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts