Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Resignation letter – what to say?
  • Pandora
    Free Member

I’m resigning from my job and have to write a letter to say so. Can’t stand the place and so far have got:
    ‘Dear Sir, I am writing to terminate my contract of employment with you from this date.’
    It’s only a one liner and feel I should be writing something else like thanks etc but can’t think of anything that would be true.

Any ideas? What have people written before?

Thanks

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

IMO as long as its in writing it’ll serve its purpouse.

You can explain everything else verbaly.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Watch your spelling. I resigned from Wang UK many years ago. Got the last letter of the firm’s name wrong. I got a lot of funny looks when I went in the office and had no idea why until someone told me. OOOPS!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Stoner
    Free Member

as spoon says, for the purpose of resigning, simply a written statement of giving notice is fine.

If you want to develop the reasons request an exit interview with a senior manager from another department.

Spongebob
    Free Member

BTW, what job are you quitting? Maybe I could do it.

crispybacon
    Free Member

It’s a resignation letter not your CV so keep it simple, accurate & to the point.

IMHO what you have said already is fine.

bruneep

Dear Sir,

Poke your job.

Pandora.

That should do it.

SST
    Free Member

We’ve been working together for some time now and I’ve come to think of you all as “people I once met . . . .”

Strangelove
    Free Member

Dear Sir

I quit

Love
    Pandora

That should do it

Pandora
    Free Member

Lol

Thanks guys. Particularly like SST’s reply but yes will keep it simple.

I did do one similar to my previous job and they were most put out that it was a one liner!

Now if I was leaving because I’d won the lottery, then the truth would be told ;D

JonBurns
    Free Member

http://www.i-resign.com/uk/letters/letters.asp

A few examples on the above site

anagallis_arvensis

keep it simple, dont burn bridges and say thanks for all the support, enjoyed, hope to return in future. blah blah blah… you do never know.

Pandora
    Free Member

Ooh excellent site JonBurns. Thanks :o)

I agree about not burning your boats etc. In our business you could very well meet again and references are always required.

ziggy
    Free Member

Dear PT.

Last night in bed, your wife told me you’d found out about our affair and were going to fire me today. You’ve not been getting much satisfaction recently, so I won’t spoil the trend. This is my letter of resignation.

Don’t worry about a reference, I’ll tell you now, she’s bloody marvellous.

😆

Daffy

Goodbye and thanks for all the fish?

WTF
    Free Member

Any ideas? What have people written before?

K THNX BAI

HTH

skidartist
    Free Member

IGMC

willard

Ah, you say “don’t burn bridges”, but one of the things I truly regret was not writing a truthful resignation at my last job. Not so much burning and bombing, napalming and then salting the earth around the bridge.

I ended up taking my dad’s advice and just saying something along the lines of “Dear Sir, I am writing to inform you that I am resigning from my role as a… “. I think I signed it with “Yours,” as opposed to anything else.

What I should have said was “Sod you and your badly paid job. I’ve found another place with a boss that is not a complete bullying w4nker and where I can expect a reasonable appreciation of the skills that, so far, your company has ignored or obstructed.”

atlaz
    Free Member

I’d agree with keeping it short and businesslike. Your satisfaction at a harsh leaving letter is going to be short lived and you never know when you might need a reference or a job at the same workplace.

I’ve had friends who left in a storm of righteous justice; “setting it straight” and “keeping it real” only to find themselves heading back to the same company a few years later after mergers etc.

Exit interview is the place for constructive dialogue, pub is the place for destructive dialogue.

steveh

You can download standard ones on the net. http://www.iresign.com i think i used for mine. Looks a bit better with some length. A nice bit about i assure you of my continued help until i depart etc.

thepurist

Whatever you do, don’t say “I resign. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own!” – could get interesting after that…

molgrips
    Free Member

If you don’t want to work for them any more, then don’t work on their resignation letter either. It’s only for their benefit that you want to flesh it out…

ART

I think you’ve probably got what you need now! I looked at the ‘i-resign’ site too before I did mine. Keep it short, say that your leaving, state notice period etc, and say thanks for experience etc.

As much as you want to fill it with expletives and truths – and believe me I really did – keep hold of the high ground, stay professional and above board. Your pleasure will be in leaving the f**kwits to their own shit and walking away to something better. I just look back and smile now!!

finbar
    Free Member

Bitches,

Here’s a dick:

8======D

Go eat it.

Regards,

Pandy

ART

OOps that should have been ‘you’re’, tsk.. just don’t got getting your spelling and grammar wrong….

ART

go/got good grief …. Pandora, I leave now trusting that you have better literary skills than I… 😉

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Dear Sir,

I have been offered a job at your main competitors for twice the pay.

Bye Bye

Pandora

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Resignation letter – what to say?’ is closed to new replies.