Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Resignation……..
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Work’s a bit mad but my out just came through off to Oz in 6 weeks!! On Monday morning I get to quit:)

So choices so far are

1) I’m moving to Oz
    – Feelings of betrayal & pre-meditated stuffing up
    2) I have a better offer
    – Play the game and see “Here’s what you could have won”
    3) I won the lottery
    – No hard feelings – no you can’t have a Ferrari

LeeW

Tell them you’re going to die, you might get more from the collecction. if they have one for you.

john_drummer
    Free Member

tell them you love them all so much you’re moving to the other side of the world to be further away from them

RichPenny
    Free Member

4) 15 minute powerpoint presentation to the entire company about how Oz is a much better place to live than here. Final slide to be your resignation letter 🙂

sc-xc

Leave it until about 10.30, and flip out after something trivial happens. Make it interesting for those you are leaving behind, and make sure they remember you.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

4) 15 minute powerpoint presentation to the entire company about how Oz is a much better place to live than here. Final slide to be your resignation letter

What music for the presentation?

The Final Countdown
    Leaving on a Jet Plane
    Cee Lo Green F*** you?

tazzymtb

strip naked, smear yourself in marmite and write “I quit” on your bum cheeks and then run through the office

Trekster

We had a guy leave who let everyone know what he thought of the company. No-one remembers his name.
    When my son left for a new job he stayed in touch with his old colleagues. He now does consultancy work for them 😆

LeeW

tazzymtb – Member

strip naked, smear yourself in marmite Vegemite and write “I quit” on your bum cheeks and then run through the office

FTFY

trail_rat
    Free Member

How about being honest

Never hurts

You dont want to come back with your tail between your legs with nothing to come back too. Its reasonable to think that if your good at your job and they are strugling to fill your post then you may get something to come back too

I know a few folk that have moved out as it would be the best thing in world and ended up coming back as they ,wife or kids hate it . Both oz and new zealand that is

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How about being honest

Never hurts

In this circumstance honest hurts!!

steveh

Good news Mike! Keep the official letter very short and sweet. What you tell your boss depends on how you get on with them!

Inbred456
    Free Member

Never burn your bridges. A simple letter thanking them and wishing them well for the future etc. Then get the hell out! You never know what the future may bring or who knows who. Grass isn’t always greener.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Aye Steve, going short n sweet just for fun in here!

Get on well with boss hence Lottery win is the preferred option!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Probably doesnt matter after a few weeks no one will remember who you were anyway. Those that do will just blame you for everything that goes wrong.

takisawa2

You could offer to help make the transition to your replacement as good as it can be & take with you the best wishes, respect & admiration of your colleagues.

Can’t imagine wasting my life in a job where I honestly hated those around me. Would move on before it got to that.

And good luck with going to Oz. Seriously. A dream of mine but Wife can’t bare to leave the family she rarely sees & spends most of her time moaning about… 🙂
    Good luck…!!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cheers Takisawa, missus is from Oz so that is sorted!

As for handover they just got rid of the person I am replacing if that makes sense!!

zokes
    Free Member

Where are you headed to in Oz?

Grass isn’t always greener.

Nope, right now, most of it’s brown and flammable 🙂

Beaches are good though!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

29th Feb unless they give me Gardening Leave

brooess
    Free Member

if honesty would hurt them, tell white lies.
    But be civil at least, it’s a small world and they may well know someone who you want to work with in the future.
    I used to work with a bloke who routinely screwed his colleagues over for his own gain. He’s ended up having to set up his own company cos no-one will work with him and very few of his previous colleagues or clients will work with him…

PJM1974
    Free Member

Hmmm….there’s the job I quit a while back where I was treated like crap despite often working a fifty hour week, simply because they couldn’t make a business case to hire me any help.

Here’s what I should have said.

Dear shower of bastards

I have been offered a similar position at another firm who’ve offered to pay me a reasonable sum of money in return for the time and effort I’m prepared to invest in the company. Since I do not trust you to remunerate me properly for the remainder of my notice period, I have changed the software passwords which I will give you upon receipt of the sum of money I am contractually owed. Moreover, I have left you a portfolio of happy clients whom I have nurtured over the course of my employment and I trust that my successor will look after them properly.

Also, the firm’s Partner should probably not go on record as to justify sacking a highly respected colleague on the grounds that “he looks a bit gay”. In retrospect, his attempt to drunkenly seduce a member of staff whilst married to the Senior Partner’s daughter and subsequent witch hunt to quash the resulting post xmas party gossip might have an adverse effect on staff morale.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

What I actually said was:

Dear *****

I am writing to inform you that I wish to tender my resignation with effect from *******. I have been offered a position in a firm which better suits my career aspirations.

I will of course ensure that my successor is adequately trained and that I will fulfil my remaining contractual obligations to the very best of my ability.

Yours sincerely etc

zokes
    Free Member

I assume this wasn’t the plural of a four-letter word….

angryratio
    Free Member

Be nice…
    and just enjoy the bit where you leave for the last time.

The people you are leaving behind will become a distant memory soon enough.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Go for lunch….never come back.

martinhutch

Get a couple of mates to hire police uniforms, then come into the office and drag you out screaming.

Then send in a scrawled and slightly bloodstained resignation letter two days later.

convert

People who feel they have to go out in a blaze of outrage tend to have an artificially inflated impression of themselves and might often find that behind closed doors there is some silent fist pumping & celebration from their ex-colleagues or employers that they have finally got around to leaving.

Also, even the good guys are consigned to distant memory about a week after they leave. You are never as indispensable as you think you are and life will go on without you!

Humility on resignation is way cooler.

easygroove
    Free Member

I did the same move 7 years ago, living in Sydney (freshwater – 5 mins from beach)…………my boss and colleagues in Bristol office land were very jealous! Best move i ever made!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Short Sweet letter written so early start in the morning may even wear a tie just to confuse people!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Resignation……..’ is closed to new replies.