Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)
  • Residents possessive of public roads
  • richmtb

Its a difficult one, you have every right to park on the public road so long as you do so considerately, but you are also leaving you car out of sight all day long

There is some aggro in the streets near my office too. Big office building not quite in Glasgow city centre so few parking restrictions during the day on the streets around it.

People have had their tyres let down and their windscreen wiper blades stolen. In the end the belligerent resident with time on their hand will probably win.

pondo
    Free Member

I once experimented with driving to Leamington, parking in the streets and riding to the train station – on day two I came back to find notes sellotaped to three windows asking me to be considerate to the residents – car was left in front of a house, but not blocking or opposite anybody’s drive. Did think about just cracking on anyway, but decided leaving my car at the mercy of some tool with a grudge wasn’t worth the hassle. It wasn’t that far from Warwick Castle, so i did wonder whether they have a rough time of it in tourist season.

D0NK

People have had their tyres let down and their windscreen wiper blades stolen. In the end the belligerent resident with time on their hand will probably win.

aye even if you drive a shed with paintwork you don’t care about four flat tyres is going to put a downer on your day.

so i did wonder whether they have a rough time of it in tourist season.

thing is even if there are some people parking like dicks outside their house at other times of day do they have a right to get pissed at people who are parked legitimately/considerately?

thomthumb
    Free Member

i park on local streets at work. a parking pass is expensive and doesn’t guarantee a space, on top of that the ‘big’ car park is as far away as the free street parking.

Saw a colleague (wearing a uniform) pull half into a marked bay and block someones drive! if he’d pulled forward another 2 feet (which there was plenty of room to do it would have been no issue.

No surprise the residents get pissy.

hora
    Free Member

I’m absolutely no hardman or keyboard warrior but I am a person of principle. If anything near that happened to me I would be knocking on the door outside the house where I parked.

The key scratch on my car buffed out whilst I was there. If it wasn’t regardless of a persons age I’d politely knock, ask (if a denial) I’d tell them thats my new parking spot from now on.

If it was damaged as the above quote I don’t think I’d be calm, I’d put the bloody wind of god into them.

clubber
    Free Member

I’m absolutely no hardman or keyboard warrior

I’d tell them thats my new parking spot from now on and they better look out for my car.

Brilliant 😆

binners

The bloody wind of God into them?

😆

russ295
    Free Member

My next door neighbour used to put dogs shit under the handles of cars parked legally outside her house.
    Eggs on the windscreen seem to be her favourite now!

gwaelod
    Free Member

“If you don’t have a field, don’t keep a cow”

Brilliant

pondo
    Free Member

thing is even if there are some people parking like dicks outside their house at other times of day do they have a right to get pissed at people who are parked legitimately/considerately?

Nah, I don’t think so, but I took it as a possible cause of the neighbours being more militant about people parking outside their houses than most. I leave my car other places loads of times to cycle from, and that street in Leamington is the only one that’s ever provoked a reaction – I’d just rather not have the bother.

binners

hora
    Free Member

Right **** it!!!!

Say hello to my lee’tle friend

johndoh
    Free Member

At my old place the mad old woman near us used to stare at me from her window if I parked outside her house even though she had a space of her own at the back (that she always used – she never parked at the front). If I didn’t park there no-one did – simply because she had already moaned at everyone else enough to make them stop.

She eventually confronted me about it, demanding to know who my employer was (I have no idea why and I am self employed anyway), going on to say that it spoiled her view (of the house opposite). I very politely explained to her that it was a public road, that I was not blocking any access, I was doing no harm and I was parked perfectly legally.

Her retort? She told me to *&%^ off and die. She was in her 80s.

😯

Ever since then I just gave her a big smily face, a cheery hello and a wave as I parked up. I think that just made her madder though 🙂

pondo
    Free Member

Fantastic. 😀

kcal

at wife’s old place of work (St Columbas Hospice), old woman nearby would put her bins out days early, clatter the bins into cars, scatter glass and tacks on the road, and generally get very antsy. The police were called, and it all remained on a tense but manageable level.

She eventually died, and the house (big place) was sold – to the hospice for expansion, education centre, the lot. Justice!!

Pigface
    Free Member

I had a bloke tell me once “You cant park a commercial vehicle on the avenue” when I was in St Albans, he even phoned the company I was working for to complain. The road in question is about 20 metres wide with about 20 metres of front garden. I explained that it was taxed MOT’d and legally parked. Stupid sod went and phoned plod who came along and gave him a right telling off for wasting their time.

pjt201
    Free Member

someone who lived near me used to put cones outside their house to mark out their spot when they left, i used to delight in driving my ratty mark 1 clio over the cones and leaving it there (normally for weeks at a time as I cycle to work and only used the car occasionally). I’m not sure anyone who lives in Bristol could actually survive if people parking outside their house upset them…

where i live now is used for parking by people who work locally during the day and to be honest I couldn’t give a monkey’s

hooli

Seems to happen far too often, mostly by small minded people with little else to do or worry about.

Lifes too short to get would up by stuff like that, flinging dog poo is far more effective 😉

martib

Just don’t get why people don’t understand that the Public Highway is just that for the public, whatever mode of transport you use. Why do people think that just because they bought a house, big expensive car, private number plate etc etc think they have anymore rights to it’s use than anyone else. Did these people not learn to share their toy’s when they were young 😯

hora
    Free Member

Too add abit of balance, we live on a tiny close (and I mean narrow and tiny). I’d really like a Toyota Hi-Ace van but I’ll never buy one as its too tall/big really for the road/not fair on neighbours. If a commercial van was regularly parked on our road I’d ask if it could be parted at the entrance/top.

binners

Are there any other hypothetical local parking situations you’ve given much thought too? Maybe one involving a tractor?

GrahamS

Stupid sod went and phoned plod who came along and gave him a right telling off for wasting their time.

Interesting. I had a few aggressive notes on my car (in Edinburgh) that threatened to inform the police for parking in “residents’ parking” (i.e. a normal public road with no restrictions).

Joke was on them though because parking became such a problem that Edinburgh council rolled out proper residents’ parking with one-car-per-house permits and annual fees. 😀

martib

Are there any other hypothetical local parking situations you’ve given much thought too? Maybe one involving a tractor?

With muck spreader in tow 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I’d ask if it could be parted at the entrance/top.”

And as i told a previous neighbour when he pulled similar – its my private vehicle for use of taking my bikes cycling – its no bigger than an estate car or a pick up truck that i could park there. – worse than that it was parked infront of MY door/window.

hora
    Free Member

trail_rat our road (inc small kerb) is 2 widths of a car and about 30metres long with 10 houses on. If you park a car (on the small kerb) you can squeeze a car down. Thats it. So if a van was permanently there it’d dominate the small close(?).

If someone did want to pay silly buggers all one would have to do is park outside there house (and not even anywhere near obscuring the entrance of the drive) and that’d be enough to stop anyone J-turning/swinging in/using their drive. They couldn’t claim obstruction either. Its that difficult parking there!

lemonysam
    Free Member

I used to live next door to a nursery school, just round the corner from a primary school, opposite a couple of shops, just up the road from a massively popular commuter station and just down the road from a popular park. Unsurprisingly it was occasionally hard for us to park outside our house so we had to park outside someone elses. We used to get the full gamut of snotty notes, whinging old ladies and carefully positioned wheely bins to make it clear we weren’t welcome there.

One time a woman came out and shouted at my housemate to park outside our own house, he pointed out that this was the only parking space on the whole street so she told him that wasn’t her problem. He locked the car said “It is now” and walked away.

This was on a part of the street where almost all of the houses had drives round the front, garages round the back and back lanes with parking. People are weird.

totalshell

had an amusing moment with an irate home owner after i had the cheek to park on the public highway outside her living room window..

” is this your van?”

” yes”

”move it or i ll call your boss”

” feel free the numbers on the side of the van”

she runs inside gets mobile carefully dials number

my phone rings..

” sorry love its staying where it is all day..”

she called coppers.. turned up.. they told me i was causing an obstruction..

”like all the cars parked in front and behind me?..”

”are there parking restrictions on this housing estate? am i parked inconsideratly? if the answers no i m off to work next door.. cheeerio”

never heard another word.

gordimhor

OP why not contact the 5 0 and your councillor or better still get your work to do so. I worked in Falkirk and there was a problem with workers cars parked on street and in a free car park being vandalised.My employers contacted the council and police problem was solved within a couple of weeks.

GrahamS

My favourite passive aggressive note:

binners

This was on a part of the street where almost all of the houses had drives round the front, garages round the back and back lanes with parking. People are weird.

Indeed. All the streets around us are old stone terraces, so nobody has any parking spaces, and there aren’t any drives or garages anywhere, so everyones in the same boat. You just have to just park wherever you can. I have never, ever heard of anyone having an issue with this. I don’t think its that people are weird generally. Its just this sense of entitlement thing with certain people, who think they’re Vladimir Putin and can effectively annexe the land around their house, including the road

GrahamS

Ian Walker has an interesting take on this:

“..car parking is a nice illustration of the bizarre level of freedom given to motorists..

..here’s the question: why should I be allowed to own a car if I have nowhere to store it? I am not permitted the same freedom to store anything else on the road. If I own a caravan, or a speedboat on a trailer, I am obliged to have off-road storage facilities for it. If I want to place a skip outside my house when doing building work I have to take great care that this hazard is brightly lit and removed as soon as possible.”

— Source: ”Car parking: I’ll just leave this speedboat here” (Ian Walker’s blog, 2008)

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

you can legally park there and its up to the residents to approach the council to change the parking if they wish.

the dilema here is how much you care for your car’s safety.

I had a similar argument when I lived in chester and parked my car around the corner from my house, I had no choice as there was no parking at the house. I ended up with a black bag of rubbish over my car one night – – I duely posted it back through her post box. I also ended up with eggs on my car another night. duely ignored and washed off. The worst time was when i walked back around to see the old deer trying to bash my wing mirror off – at that point I scared the hell out of her and she was finally stopped. Eventually she had so many complaints the local council moved her into a different old folks bungalow. Good ridence.

Vinte
    Free Member

Some people really do need to get a life.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’m slowly turning into a crazy old person that moans about people parking outside my house.

specifically that sodding green VW Bora!

there’s loads of space to park on our/my road, so why does mr Bora park outside my house?

it’s become nearly as annoying as the shouty couple who scream at everyone all day long.

avdave2

As I understand it no one has any legal right to park on the public highway. You should start putting notes under the residents windscreens to remind them of the fact. Or tell them you’ll start a petition for residents parking and hope they’ll be happy paying £500 a year for the privilege of keeping out riff raff such as yourself. 🙂

iolo
    Free Member

at that point I scared the hell out of her and she was finally stopped. Eventually she had so many complaints the local council moved her into a different old folks bungalow.

You evil man. That was my Gran.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Why do people think that just because they bought a house, big expensive car, private number plate etc etc think they have anymore rights to it’s use than anyone else.

I don’t think the problem is restricted to people who have bought a house, big expensive car, private number plate – bit of a childish comment that.

Interesting hora that if a vehicle was parking in front of your house that you weren’t happy with then you would expect it to be moved. maybe the owner of the house you parked your car in front of had a slightly lower tolerance level than you.

I’d just park elsewhere to be honest as its not worth the hassle of coming back to your car to find it keyed.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

That was my Gran.

I pitty you if it really was.

GrahamS

.. I had my tyre slashed after parking outside his house
    .. resident sprinkling bird seed on the roof of their car.
    .. decided to leave the car there literally for 20mins… keyed.
    .. tyres let down and their windscreen wiper blades stolen
    .. dogs shit under the handles of cars parked legally
    .. i walked back around to see the old deer trying to bash my wing mirror off
    .. its not worth the hassle of coming back to your car to find it keyed.

That is all just astounding! 😯

Blatant vandalism, bullying and and intimidation, committed by people directly outside their own homes.

I bet those very same people would be the first to complain and do an angy-face pose in the local paper if there were “yoofs” intimidating people and causing vandalism.

alpin
    Free Member

i’m slowly turning into a crazy old person that moans about people parking outside my house.

specifically that sodding green VW Bora!

there’s loads of space to park on our/my road, so why does mr Bora park outside my house?

it’s become nearly as annoying as the shouty couple who scream at everyone all day long.

you should put some cones out the front to stop people parking there… 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Residents possessive of public roads’ is closed to new replies.