• This topic has 36 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by will.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Resetting seat post height – how do you ‘mark’ yours? Bendeestiq?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’m not a habitual seat post dropper, but I have difficulty resetting it to its original position. I’ve got a Turner frame with a Thompson post, neither marks the other. The anodizing on the post is so hard its hard to scribe a mark through. Do you or how do you mark yours?

Anyone used a Bendeestiq?

Vortexracing

scribe

thepodge
    Free Member

just guess, it doesn’t have to be spot on

GW
    Free Member

tiny bit above the max extension mark. your frame is too big otherwise 😉

sq225917
    Free Member

hacksaw..

twang
    Free Member

I make an indentation with a drill bit, being careful not to go all the way through. I do this on the sides not on the back or front so as not to weaken it.

steel4real
    Free Member

I found that a scribed mark would be become difficult to distinguish as I am a ‘habitual post dropper’.

I now use a centre punch mark and it also can speed up aligning the saddle as I put the punch mark at the top of the seat tube slot.

(Have done this on 4 posts, all still in service after several years)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I just stand alongside it and know how high the seat comes to in relation to my hip bone

MrTricky
    Free Member

cut a piece of old inner tube to the length of the exposed section of seatpost, fit over seatpost, works without causing any damage

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Centre punch mark, I hadn’t thought of that. Scuttles off to the shed in search of said punch.

druidh
    Free Member

Gravity Dropper. Always comes back to the correct height.

antigee

Centre punch mark, I hadn’t thought of that. Scuttles off to the shed in search of said punch

probably a better bet than hanging around to see if TJ turns up just when you need him

ton

ditto what teej said…..
    i just know where it needs to be.

Aidan
    Free Member

I heard a tip the other day… String. Tie some to your saddle and the clamp (or wherever) at the right extension and you can get the right height even in the dark.

I’ve never tried it myself, but it makes sense.

swisstony
    Free Member

you need a “Matt wire” invented by said friend of mine, get a length of strong fishing line, tie the top to the seat or top of post, work out the right length and tie of to the clamp bolt. Perfect height every time esp good for resetting on the fly.

simonralli2
    Free Member

I do it all by eye. And if it’s out a tad i just get off and make a small adjustment. I tend to only need one re-adjustment rather than mark the stem like a half drunk carton of milk in a fridge in a house full of milk-stealing flatmates.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Take an old gear cable.

Run the end up through the seatpost clamp so that the nipple comes up underneath the clamp.

Set the saddle at the preferred height.

Run the cable up the back of the post.

Take a couple of turns around the saddle rails then tie the cable off with zip ties.

Cut off the excess and finish off with some pvc tape.

When you wanna drop the saddle you just drop the saddle.
    When you wanna come back up to the right height, the cable stops you setting it to high.

Seatpost unmarked!

SB 🙂

Dibbs
    Free Member

A dot of Tipex works for me, but I use Easton carbon posts and they have a flat section so the mark doesn’t scratch off if I move the post.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Here’s a couple of pics of my cheapo solution.

Seat up…………

Seat down…………

SB 🙂

chvck
    Free Member

I erm…used a screwdriver on my thomson seatpost 😳 I drop my seatpost for every descent and it’s still there atm, once it becomes a bit more worn I may steal stratobikers idea!

Jamie
    Free Member

Normally do mine by eye. Does not have to be spot on. Saying that there is a certain swishness about stratobikers method.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Stratobiker, thats pure genius. Rendering the Bendeestiq obsolete within a day of conception.

Any pics of the wobbly boulder in the Monts

Joxster
    Free Member

Anyone remember the spring thingy on two clips that went around the seat pin letting you drop and raise it while riding?

trail_rat
    Free Member

hite rite ?

druidh
    Free Member

Hite-rite

househusband

Has Raddogair started selling the Bendeestiq yet?

JxL
    Free Member

What about carbon seat posts? I suppose Stratobiker’s method could work very well, good idea!

Joxster
    Free Member

Ahh HiteRite, I couldn’t remember the name of it.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Gotta say…..

Weren’t my idea, I stole it off a French bloke! 🙂

mcmoonter – picture of wobbly boulder soon.

sb 🙂

swisstony
    Free Member

i can’t believe everyone has totally dismissed my suggestion and gone for stratobikers idea (no offence) It’s the same principle but instead of ugly cable and tape i use some very discreet fishing line.

😉

JxL
    Free Member

swisstony – must have missed your comment 😉

swisstony
    Free Member

no worries, give it a go, it works really well

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Househusband. I think the disorderly queue that was forming outside the patent office on bank holiday Monday has now headed for home. Shame, there must be other applications for the bendeestiq.

iainc

little scratch with a penknife works on my Thomsons

richcc
    Free Member

I once met a chap that had ‘split a boll0ck’ on a wire caving ladder…there’s something about stratobiker’s design that just made me remember that for some reason.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Or you could measure the number of “finger-widths” between the collar and the bottom-most letter of “Thomson” – e.g 4-fingers high.

Occam’s Razor trumps Bendeestiq (Pat. Pending)

will
    Free Member

Max height mark for me 😉

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Resetting seat post height – how do you ‘mark’ yours? Bendeestiq?’ is closed to new replies.