Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Requiem for Detroit
  • Pigface
    Free Member

It is on the i player and is a remarkable piece of work, go watch.

kimbers

watched it last night was fascinating

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Great piece of social TV

tonyg2003

Spent 4 days in Detroit last week – visiting many of the ghetto places shown and it seemed to hit the spot. One strange thing that wasn't mentioned was you could drive from a seriously poor neighbourhood to a seriously upmarket one like Grosse point in a few minutes. It was a complete juxapostion.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Watched it last night, good tv (and it's not often you can say that!)

atlaz
    Free Member

Great documentary. The way that the people are now reclaiming and returning areas to agriculture is becoming more of a trend in the US each year.

tony – They did mention that at one point. Talking about there being 2000 feet between upscale stuff and dereliction

tonyg2003

Hi Atlaz

They did mention up on 8mile it but not the scale. $1/wreck houses a few minutes from massive multi million dollar houses in Grosse Point.

can-uk
    Free Member

Wow, thanks for posting. Will definitely check it out. I grew up the other side of the river from Detroit. It's been in a bad way since the riots in the 60s.. never really recovered.. but the city has a brilliant feel to it and a great music scene. I miss it… despite once having had a gun pulled on me and being forced to dance like one of the New Kids on the Block for the entertainment of some gang members!

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

If you enjoyed that programme on sat night, have a read of this http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525078&highlight=detroit

lowey

Thanks for the heads up. I forgot about this.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Personally, I think Julien Temple is a pretentious under-achiever. I kept waiting for him to make his point but all he did was go on and on about how decrepit Detoit has become. I know Julien, you said, what's your point?! (Julien: "Hold on, I've got a few more historical musical references to chuck in, just to show you how hip I am…")

Then, finally, he gets around to the point – the mutation of an industrial city into farmland, and he only gives it 10 minutes at the end.

Although I was amused at the gullibility of american consumers buying a "new model" of car which was basically the same chassis/engine/hydraulics with a different body shell, I could have done without the "artist" going on about his "vision" of turning his neighbourhood into a half-arsed amateur disneyland.

Best interview? The guy with no teeth.

"What's happening here?"

"What's happening? I don't know, I only just got up…".

CaptJon
    Free Member

I'm planning to show the first twenty minutes in a first year lecture tomorrow.

TheFopster
    Free Member

Was a great, if flawed film. I lived there for three years. Wierd place. A colleague who was a member of the local historical society once took me on a walking tour downtown, and recounted his childhood experiences watching ladies who lunch decamping out of limos to visit the big department store before going to one of the many fabulous restaurants. The street we were in was boarded up, windswept and desolate and there was a guy sleeping off something or other in a doorway. My host had to stop his commentary as he was in floods of tears. As a city it was both depressing and inspiring. but not an easy place to live as the residue of the riots is an unspoken but undeniable racism. Made for some very unpleasant experiences.

lodious
    Free Member

Great TV IMHO, best thing I've seen in ages (apart from the Bill Ward interview on Metal Britania ;-).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Requiem for Detroit’ is closed to new replies.