Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Report car with no road tax?
  • benz
    Free Member

Waiting to leave the car park in my local Aldi today and about to turn right. I noted another car turning in but a bit quick and heading towards my side of the road. I thought that it was going to hit me and braced…..thankfully the car just glanced us but proceeded to drive away.

I headed round the car park in the direction the other car was coming and after a bit of lane straddling the other car stopped and we both got out. The other driver was a youngish girl and 3 lads in the car. After I pointed out she had rudeworded my car she said “oh, I thought I’d hit a bollard”.

There was no significant damage to my car but I took a pic of the other car and it’s reg. I asked for sight of the other driver licence but she said she did not have any id. We then headed on our separate ways.

When I got home I was curious about the other car (51 plate X-type Jag). DVLA has it currently mot’d but road tax expired and due 01 April 2015….

So, should I report it for being untaxed?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You probably should, and while dodging car tax is not the crime of the century, it normally points to an un-MOT’d and uninsured car as well.

EDIT: she’s doing well if she’s managed to dodge ANPR for 24 months!

allan23
    Free Member

Not necessarily untaxed.

One job a few years ago needed me to drive to a secure site. My car was registered on a non-disclosure list. No idea if it worked but anyone from the public phoning DVLA or trying to find out details from the Reg Number would be told the information was not available.

As far as I know the Police ANPR systems could see details.

footflaps

So, should I report it for being untaxed?

I would without a 2nd thought.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Yep.

poly
    Free Member

@ALLAN23 not sure it would show as untaxed (or likewise for most, insurance) – surely it just needs to show that the keeper’s details are not available?

@deadlydarcy, she’s not necessarily dodged anpr that long, it may just be that the keepers details are not up to date so they don’t know where to send the ticket.

@Benz there is no need to tell dvla it is untaxed, they know that, they just told you. It will only be useful if you can tell them where the car is normally kept so they can go and clamp it. Personally I’d be most concerned whether it was actually insured.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

@deadlydarcy, she’s not necessarily dodged anpr that long, it may just be that the keepers details are not up to date so they don’t know where to send the ticket.

Yeah, in a roundabout way, that’s what I was trying to say i.e. unlikely that a car has managed to dodge tax that long without being picked up somehow, so there’s probably more to “Due April 2015” than meets the eye. But, as the rozzers always say on the Stop! Polis! Camera! Action Motorway! Cops! tv programmes, there’s usually a secondary reason for driving a car untaxed – and that is normally no MOT (Ok, not crime of the century either) but usually, no insurance – which can cause misery for anyone unlucky enough to be crashed into.

I’m not sure what action happens when an untaxed car is reported. Anyone know? I suppose someone may have SORN’d it and now it’s on the road again…in which case is it flagged up on ANPR again?

footflaps

I’m not sure what action happens when an untaxed car is reported. Anyone know?

They come and clamp it. Always see a few in the streets around us – mainly people dump them rather than scrap them. So they get clamped and eventually towed away.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

They come and clamp it.

Yes, I realise that, but as poly said, that’s only useful if it’s parked in the same area all the time. If the car is spotted “on the move” as with the OP, what happens then? I imagine the DVLA van will sweep by the last known keeper’s address once or twice, but if it’s not found…

footflaps

Yes, I realise that, but as poly said, that’s only useful if it’s parked in the same area all the time. If the car is spotted “on the move” as with the OP, what happens then?

I would guess nothing. An untaxed car is about as low as you can get on the priority list.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Report car with no road tax?’ is closed to new replies.