Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Replacing the cable on a Satori Sorata Pro or a RSP plummet dropper post?
  • ohrats
    Free Member

Hello chaps,
    I seem to have lost the manual that came with my Satori Sorata pro dropper post and I am needing to replace the remote cable. Could anyone who has experience with this sort of thing help me out with how I would go about changing out the cables?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Not sure if you can read it but here is pic of manual! Basically….
    1) unscrew the little plastic grub screw on the side of the post
    2) unscrew the hex head bolt at the top.
    3) using a 2.5 mm Allen key, undo the grub screw behind where the plastic cap was (that you removed in step 1)
    4) pull cable out and shove a new one in! Simple.

You do need to ensure the sprung loaded plunger is in one of the slots so that the grub screw can be seen through the side. I actually had a bit of an issue with mine because the cable was a bit tight from the factory meaning that the sprung pin would not quite return to fully closed position. You will see what I mean when you do it! If you cannot get Allen key in then this will be your problem.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

If you cannot quite see the Allen key head in grub screw…. Its pretty easy to strip. Infact if you haven’t I would say strip and Regrease. Mine came with some really thick claggy grease in it which was slowing the post down. I cleaned fully and replaced with some light weight castrol stuff I had in shed. WHat a differece! Lovely and quick return now.

It’s as easy as unscrewing the collar under the boot. Then actuate the lever and pull the guts out. That’s it! There is nothing to it really.

ohrats
    Free Member

Thanks so much doncorleoni! Appreciate it.

smurfly13
    Free Member

I had the same problem with the hex screw not being visible so sounds like its common, stripping it down released the pin fully and after that is was easy!

slowoldman

I’m tempted to buy one of these but I understand the remote cable is considered by some to be “on the short side”. So, if I buy one and find I need a longer cable, how easy is it to replace the outer as well?

ben10
    Free Member

Iv got the rsp dropper same thing. and the cabe was very short haven’t striped the post down yet but if its easy I think ill do it befor next ride iv got some nice red water resistant grease that should work well in it

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Real easy to replace outer! Literally just like replacing a shifter outer. The hardest part is cutting to size 🙂

Yeah well worth stripping down. They come from factory with real crappy thick grease. My post is so much smoother now. I may try sealing the spring retainer with some ptfe tape and put in a little bit of oil to lube the 3 pin bushes.

slowoldman

Real easy to replace outer! Literally just like replacing a shifter outer.

Ta.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve just bought my wife one of these. What’s the best grease to use, and, at the risk of asking a stupid question, does it matter of you use brake or gear cable?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve just replaced my cable as it was way too short, fitted a gear cable and it appears to be working just fine

doncorleoni
    Free Member

As Steve says gear cable. Regarding grease…. Actually I found my post works best with none! Grease is pretty sticky and the spring is pretty weak (even winding the compression up). My tip is to wrap ptfe tape around the threaded plug at the bottom and fill with a little chain lube (thicker the better). The return action of the post is super fast. Turning bike upside down for a couple of minutes allows the lube to get everywhere (unlike grease).

Another tip is to zip tie the plastic cover at the top.

gonzy
    Free Member

i bought an rsp plummet recently and although it works ok the return seemed a bit slow so i increased the preload via the bottom of the post and now the post wont drop into its lowest setting.
    anyone know what could be the issue before it pull it all apart?

gonzy
    Free Member

took it apart and found what can only be described as industrial grade vaseline type grease smeared all over a spring that seems to have been taken out of a biro pen.
    it all got cleaned off and the insides of the post got flushed out before i poured some ptfe chain lube and some proper shimano grease on the spring. all work perfectly smoothly and i’ve managed to wound off the preload so the post drops into the lowest position.

alhyland
    Free Member

Anyone got any tips orctricks on getting the cable the right length? Am finding if I cut it down after I can’t get it short enough to put the little screw can back on after.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Use a bit of string to mock up the routing.

Wind the adjuster nut on the lever out 2/3rds so you can always wind it back in to give you a bit more cable.

Cut to length using string length as a guide.

Job done.

scrumfled
    Free Member

Nosing around the dropper world, my google fu doesnt seem too hot. Where are people finding these satori posts?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Replacing the cable on a Satori Sorata Pro or a RSP plummet dropper post?’ is closed to new replies.