Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Replacing seals in a track pump- will it fix it?
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I have a Topeak Joe Blow Sprint track pump which has been excellent for the last 7 years or so. It’s got to the point now where it only pumps a small amount of air, so where it used to be brilliant at seating tubeless tyres it’s now no good. It won’t even really pump up tyres normally and struggles with pumping up anything that doesn’t already have a few psi in. Oiling it helps but not for long.

My thinking is that the rubber o ring inside has worn down and a new one will fix it. Is that the case? Or has, over the years, the inside of the shaft opened up a bit and so nothing will seal it now.

If anyone has tried this and had success please let me know.

Thanks

molgrips
    Free Member

A squirt of WD40 will probably work wonders!

Seals don’t necessarily wear like that in pumps, they usually get dirty and crudded up. Oil helps clean it all off and get it to seal again. Never had a pump that wasn’t revitalised this way.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I have oiled it but the oiling is becoming more regular and the degradation in performance between oils much more dramatic. I oiled it last night and it’s still not behaving right. New pump time maybe?

z1ppy

Oil? I clean and grease my shaft 😯
    My Joe blow had issues but it was down to the spring/one way valve at the base of the unit, SJS carry many of the spare parts.
    I did replace my mini-pump due to lack of performance, then found and o-ring at work, replaced it and the damned thing went back to 100% performance, Annoying as I’d bought another pump in the mean time

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Replacing seals in a track pump- will it fix it?’ is closed to new replies.