Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Replacing rear shock bushings on a Pitch?
  • grumm
    Free Member

Noticed a bit of play if I pick the bike around the seat, and it's def not the wheel bearings. The bike is around a year old so I am thinking it's the rear shock bushings? Are special tools required to replace, and where would I go about getting the replacements?

Or is it just an LBS job?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

lift the bike gently by the top tube, with your hand on the top shock bush. You should be able to feel the play. Bushes are shock specific, all Fox ones are the same, you can get them for £1 each from bearing suppliers. They can be replaced using sockest as drifts, but it's worth having the correct tool IMO. An LBS will probably charge £10 or so to do it, so even if you pay £25 for the tool it soon pays for itself.
    🙂

richc
    Free Member

sounds like the DU bushings, I had an Enduro that used to eat through several sets a year.

Do you have access to a bench vice? as if not its a LBS job.

Have you checked the rear triangle alignment as if its crappy I would buy the tool and and a stack of DU bushes and top hats as you are going to be fitting a fair few

http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/result.asp?CategoryID=24&Name=SHOCK+BUSHES

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Do you have access to a bench vice? as if not its a LBS job.

Not necessary. You can tap them out with a hammer.

stevomcd
    Free Member

TFTuned sell the tool for £20, as well as the bushings and shock mounts (probably worth replacing the mounts at the same time as the bushing). With the tool, it's a 2-minute job. You don't even need a vice, the bushings can be easily tapped in/out with a hammer.

richc
    Free Member

I never had a lot of luck using the socket method and a hammer, with a vice they came out a lot easier.

However with the proper tool I agree with you, a hammer is all you need.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Aye, I did it with sockets and bolts the first couple of times. The right tool for the job is definitely a plus!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh, yeah. The tool is worth the cash for sure. It's a 2 minute job with that. I got mine when the pound was stronger from a chap on US Ebay. About £18 delivered with 8 bushes….
    🙂

AlasdairMc

I honestly think the shock bushing tool is one of the most elegant that I own, it's just so simple to use.

Thread one side through bushing, put other side on the other end of the shock.
    Hit with hammer.
    Thread bushing and tool back through the shock, turn around the other side of the tool.
    Hit with hammer.

Done.

z1ppy

a largish G-Clamp (from Screw fix) will suffice instead of a vice, I also found bushing can be got from you local Bearing supplier for £2 a hit..

tomcrow99

Mine are doing the same after 6 months, 3 of which the bike wasn't ridden…
    Reading the manual, all bushings etc are on a 12 month warrenty.
    I'm going to take mine to Edi bikes and see what they say, maybe worth a try in still within 12 months.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Replacing rear shock bushings on a Pitch?’ is closed to new replies.