Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Replacing patio door with a large window
  • cheers_drive

Have any of you done this?
    Our lounge still has the original wood framed patio door which is not particularly secure and the frame is rotting. The only time we ever open them is to let some air in on a hot summers day (about once a year then) so were looking to get them replaced with a window with a large fixed pane and one or two casements. I know wondering whether this will look odd and one guy who came round to quote said that carpet, skirting and plastering will now be short as a window frame is 60mm shallower than a sliding door one.

br
    Free Member

Why not just have new quality doors/frame put in?

cheers_drive

Because when we want to let a little bit of fresh air we have to open a whole door instead of a window.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Don’t take the new window all the way to the floor… build up in block work say to 600mm and make it into a window seat.

This will stop the carpet being short but it’ll still need new skirting and skimming

wrightyson
    Free Member

without nipping out the office and into the manufacturing area I cant give you an exact measurement but I believe standard profile is 70mm deep. So this is the “cover” you will get in the reveal. How far you set this into the reveal can be up to you, but I wouldn’t want to come in any more than say 60/70mm max. Would this be enough to close back on to the existing reveals?
    If not id go as above but just 2 course of brick to let the skirting fly through.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Replacing patio door with a large window’ is closed to new replies.