Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Replacing iPhone battery …. worth it?
  • letmetalktomark

I have a 3G iPhone that I bought second hand – although you wouldn’t have know it looking at it.

I use the phone on a PAYG basis primarily for emails, a bit of browsing and music.

Battery can last anything from under a day to a couple of days.

It would seem that the battery can be replaced for about £30.

Would this be worth it – Is the phone just power hungry?

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

sounds about standard for a smart phone, don’t think you’d see much more with a new battery

footflaps

Battery life isn’t great on the iPhones, if you turn off Data then it improves loads (I do this for bike rides when I know I won’t be downloading stuff).

GrahamS

Most (all?) smartphones you can expect to be charging them every night (unless you don’t actually use them).

letmetalktomark

All good stuff.

So if I get a days usage out of the battery on a regular basis its not really worth it?

s
    Free Member

Its not that hard to replace the iphone battery & the batteries are quite cheap to buy, loads of good videos as to how to do it on youtube.

iain65
    Free Member

You can take it to the apple shop, give them your phone and £55 and they will give you a brand new phone, my wife did this in January ’cause her battery had given up and we looked into changing it.

iain65
    Free Member
    trail_rat
    Free Member

“You can take it to the apple shop, give them your phone and £55 and they will give you a brand new phone, my wife did this in January ’cause her battery had given up and we looked into changing it. “

even on a 3g ? do they replace it with a new 3g ? could do with the mrs getting at least a 3gs so the apple tv was any use to her 😉

iain65
    Free Member

It’s like for like and they support for 5 years, ours was a 3gs.

trail_rat
    Free Member

haha thought as much – worth a try – ill just hang out for the 5 coming along next year and hand down my 4 to the mrs then

jam-bo

You can take it to the apple shop, give them your phone and £55 and they will give you a brand new phone, my wife did this in January ’cause her battery had given up and we looked into changing it.

£120 when I went in last month but that was for a 4. maybe its model dependent.

letmetalktomark

jam bo – Member

£120 when I went in last month but that was for a 4. maybe its model dependent.

Just called my local Apple store and they quoted me £120 for a 3G replacement.

Hmmm.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i’d be wary of cheap batteries too. I’ve bought cheap ones for my camera and laptop and they’ve both been utterly rubbish. With the laptop, it stated the battery was unusable after 6 months or so. (it was 30 quid off ebay).

bigyinn
    Free Member

TBH you can buy the battery and replace it yourself. Plenty of videos on youtube on how to do it.
    Its a fiddle and you WILL drop at least 1 screw! If you’re ham fisted don’t try though!

jeff

battery life for your 3G seems about average.

Try turning off bluetooth, wifi, and 3G when you’re not using them. Also tweak the email update period / method. That can boost life.

3GS battery life is a bit better, plus runs everything a lot faster. Might be a better option to get £100 for your old 3G selling second hand, spend 150-170 for a 3GS second hand

footflaps

The 3 is getting on a bit now, personally I’d upgrade to a 3Gs or 4 (4 is way better as you get a decent camera and high-res screen). Although I prefer the curved body of the 3 / 3Gs.

higthepig
    Free Member

My 3gs battery seemed to be losing charge fairly quickly, so I bought a replacement battery off fleabay, watched a YouTube video and changed it myself. No parts left over and everything worked afterwards, took about 30 minutes as I was trying to be careful for a change.
    As jeff has said above, many ways you can reduce the battery drain on the phone, also quite a few threads about prolonging battery life on ‘tinterweb’. I found that the Skype app was a big culprit.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Replacing iPhone battery …. worth it?’ is closed to new replies.