Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Replacing Hope Tech 3 lever blade
  • honourablegeorge

Anyone doen this? Bent mine at right angles (well, a tree did it, I was merely riding my bike). Got the replacement lever in my hands to fix later.

Looking at the below, it seems I just remove a circlip on the lever pivot, remove the pivot itself, and the lever/cam sub assembly comes away, then slide the lever off the cam, swap the reach adjuster over, and re build – is it that simple? Am I going to have springs and small parts falling out?

http://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/2014-TECH3-MCYL-exploded-view.pdf

Andy_K

Yeah it’s pretty easy. Just watch for the lever spring flying off.

honourablegeorge

Yeah, I’m picturing that spring disappearing across the shed and vanishing. Might disassemble it all inside a shoebox or something.

SirHC

Don’t drop the little brass widgets which sit against the springs (HBSP319), you will never find them again! SJS Cycles to the rescue for any small parts which launch themselves across the garage!

honourablegeorge

🙂 Yeah, they look likely candidates for losing, along with the circlips.

milky1980
    Free Member

Removed mine after it became stiff after being buried in a bog or 3 and was full of gritty crap.

It’s easy to do if you take your time but there is a small grub screw that holds in the pivot after you take off the circlip. It’s accessed from the underside of the lever blade so you’ll need to take the whole lot off the bars to get at it. Make a brew/grab a beer and get yourself a printout of the schematic then enjoy the pleasure of fixing something 🙂

honourablegeorge

You sure? There’s no grub screw for the lever pivot on the Tech 3 schematic. I can see one for the cam but it doesn’t look likt I need to touch that

Gaz.dick
    Free Member

You do – I have just replaced mine after snapping it at llandegla.

circlip off.
    grub screw out.
    pivot bolt out (watch spring)
    take blade out.

reverse above steps 🙂

honourablegeorge

Cool….thanks all, grub screw was called a “cam grub screw” on the schematic, so I was assuming it didn’t affect the lever pivot.

honourablegeorge

All done – dead simple, excet for trying loads of progressively smaller hex keys trying to remove a grub screw which in the end tuned out to be missing

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Replacing Hope Tech 3 lever blade’ is closed to new replies.