Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Replacing Hollowtech 2 bearings replacement
  • GSI-MAN
    Free Member

This is my way!Remove your bearing cups and remove the outer seals and plastic top hat.Then get an internal circlip slightly bigger than the inner of the bearing and use some circlip pliers to make the circlip compress and place it in the ridge on the inside of the bearing.Then lay the cup on two pieces of wood or a vice(bearing side down)and hit the bearing out with the right sized socket(the socket will be just big enough to push against the circlip but not foul the inside of the cup).Replace with new bearings and seals+tophat and then fit your cups back in your bb and use a headset press or similar to push the bearings back in to the cups nice and flush.Good luck.

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

Anyone else tried this yet. 🙂

timbur
    Free Member

Nope, I bought the tool ages ago from Enduro and am very happy with the results

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

Timbur, did you buy the 150 USD tool or do they do another cheaper one? looks nice but I can't imagine ever making my money back

timbur
    Free Member

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id114.html

It's not always about "getting your money back."
    I'm an advocate of the correct tool for the job and enjoying the satisfaction that gives :O)
    Oh, happy to do anyones bearings for free as well. It's a lovely tool to use.

Tim

Macavity
    Free Member
    toys19
    Free Member

The circlip method is good. +++

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

Nice one toys19.Glad you liked.
    Have you got a big smug smile on your face?
    I did !!!

40mpg

I've been placing the cups face down in the bb tool on a workmate to hold then securely, so the bearings are over the gap. Than just drift them out with a socket extension piece.

Putting back, keep the bearings in the freezer for a few hours and press them in with a vice, using the old bearings over the new to prevent damage to the cups.

I buy cheap bearings (£5 pair) so have to do it every 3-4 months, but it only takes 10 mins.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

[slight hijack]

I've just bought a HT2 crankset, anything i need to know for first installation? This thread seems an obvious place to ask for tips 🙂

It's a Deore crankset, replacing an octalink crankset which is probably 7 years old. 3 months bearing life sounds worrying!

imp999
    Free Member

I have a question too.
    I knocked my bearings out using a large washer cut in half and shaped a little so that I could insert the pieces one at a time behind the bearing and then use a socket through the bearing and onto the washer. Apply hammer.
    But…. Bearings are 6 mm wide not 7mm wide. (Deore BB ?)
    Replacements unobtainable as far as I can see.
    Any ideas? I want to use the black top hat bits, by the way.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Replacing Hollowtech 2 bearings replacement’ is closed to new replies.