Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • replacing cooker element
  • grantyboy
    Free Member

heating element went in the oven over the weekend. Is it an easy enough job to replace or is it a tradesman job, just wary about the amount of electricity running through an electric cooker!

cdoc
    Free Member

Did ours last year. Easy as.
    Remove power supply,
    Remove back plate inside cooker,
    Remove element,
    push fit new one
    replace everything,
    clean interior light housing to improve the gastronomic view
    Power up and run up to full temp to test and burn off anything that will.

Cook chips.

Edit: I think that ours took a generic element. Cost about 20 quid.

theotherjonv

easy if you know what you’re doing and not a numpty.

Very hard the first time for me – until I worked out the nut that held the fan blade on is reverse threaded. Was convinced it was stuck, googled ways to release and it was suggested to tighten first and see if that released it. Except tightening had it spinning off completely in no time 😳

But deffo turn the power off first.

Pierre

As others have said, it’s usually fairly simple. Most ovens have a service manual downloadable online, you should be able to order the element from your local electrical parts supplier if you know the code you need.

I did my mother-in-law’s Neff oven element a couple of years ago, like theotherjonv discovered that the nut that holds the fan on is LH threaded, but it all went pretty smoothly – except that even though I re-tightened that nut as tight as I possibly could (with a socket in the small oven space), all was fine when the oven’s cold but there’s an irritating (though only very slight) rattle when the oven is up to temperature.

She’s not bothered by it, but the perfectionist in me (the one that’s usually well hidden) notices the noise now. But it was a LOT cheaper than either paying a tradesman, or replacing the oven.

mikedabear
    Free Member

You shouldn’t need to take the fan off.

matt_outandabout

Done it here too with an online video, lots of checking power is off, took about 10 mins.

Pierre

@mikedabear Really? On every model of oven, from every manufacturer?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Easy. I am a DIY idiot but wife insisted we tried and it was straightforward. Trickiest part was removing the spade clip as it had a little locking mechanism. TBH I was amazed it was a spade clip given current. We got replacement part from a local shop, told us genuine Siemens part wasn’t worth double the money of generic. Think we spent £30

Fan – did not remove on outs as element goes around it. OP you can probably remove fan cover screws now to see element / fan. No need to remove oven for that

footflaps

I’ve changed both the element and fan in our oven. As long as you isolate the oven before working on it and photograph the wiring before you remove the old element, you should be fine…

The Fan module was tricky as it had to mate blind and was a PITA to get properly aligned. Element would have been a very quick job, only I managed to re-install the duff one and put the oven back together before I realised what I’d done! A proper Doh.. moment.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

easy. go for it.

bruneep

Easy peasy

Bought mine from espares they have a video online showing generic process

mikedabear
    Free Member

@Piece. Yes pretty much. I probably do between 2 & 5 a year.

Pierre

@mike Fair enough. M-i-L’s Neff looked like there was no physical way to remove the element without removing the fan (or perhaps without removing the oven and working from the back, but it was built in) and the manual seemed to show removing the panel, then the fan, then the element.

@footflaps, I very nearly did the same thing! Picked up the element to fit it, then realised that the new one was sitting clean on top of its packaging just a few inches further away…

Yak

Ransom Spares or similar. Usually there’s a video to watch and simple instructions. 5min job.

theotherjonv

Fan definitely has to come off on mine before removing the element, it’s horseshoe shaped and sits behind.

Not a major issue – adds 5 mins now I know what way to turn the nut.

unovolo
    Free Member

Replaced the main element on our oven twice now, the manufacturer(baumatic) failed after about 5yrs and the replacement failed last year after another 4yrs service.

Elements for mine are about £20 a time and involve removing 4 screws to the main cover, then 2 further screws holding in the element and then the removal of 3 spade connectors.

Its about a 10minute job, followed by a further hour of oven cleaning!.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Should get round to doing mine though not sure it’s just a replace job or something else wrong. It’s the element behind the fan and a while back had it on low plate warm with pizza dough in to raise it, but it went bonkers and baked it at full power. After that it seemed to not heat at all. However oven has top & bottom elements also and still works with fan. Just not with the rear element (never been too sure which setting was right, as can have rear as fan oven, top and bottom as conventional or with fan as fan assist, or just one of them or just top and/or bottom, with or without fan. All just seem to be hot enough to cook stuff to me).

monkeychild
    Free Member

Buy a genuine one, rather than an ebay “OEM spec” one!! The ebay one I bought lasted 5 and a bit months 🙁

I had to remove 4 screws in total to do mine, unfortunately I had
    to drill the screws that hold the cover on out.

sgn23
    Free Member

It helps to take a photo of the wiring before you disconnect it, if you’re not used to these things.

tinybits
    Free Member

Certainly managed to change a couple with no manual, diagrams etc. Just try to get a genuine part as they can go wrong quite quickly if not oem.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Reliable sites for genuine parts?

Seem to be loads but how many are just a front end to ebay listings and are the parts claimed genuine actually genuine?

bruneep

always had good service at http://www.espares.co.uk/ parts arrive next day if ordered early enough

chickenman

One thing to note is that espares is usually more expensive than going to the manufacturer’s site (I guess they have a far larger stock base).
    I’ve also done the hinge bearings (the slot in the oven body that the door hinges key into)on a couple of Neff double ovens to sort the common saggy door problem. Oven out the housing and resting on its back on a workmate, oven base off and Bob’s your uncle!

footflaps

I bought mine off Amazon, no idea if original or OEM, but been in there a couple of years now…

My most recent electrical repair was the extractor fan motor. No one sells spare parts for it (nearly 20 years old), so I had to canibalise another motor and fit a new steel rod as an axle to fix the old motor….

£2 5mm stanless rod fitten as new axle

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RTfmAL]Rebuilding extractor fan motor[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

New bushings stolen from another motor (different windings so burnt out after 5 mins when I tried to use it).

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QSNZzg]Rebuilding extractor fan motor[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Repaired motor back in it’s housing…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RVS3Fx]Rebuilding extractor fan motor[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

All ok so far…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Rxd9ey]Leisure Rangemaster CH120 Extractor Fan[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘replacing cooker element’ is closed to new replies.