Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Replacing Bannisters – Newel posts. (Any chippies about?)
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

In a month or threee I shall be replacing the ugly bannisters in our house. I've put a lot of thought into it so far (I want to get it right) and most potential problems I can see, I think I can work out properly myself.
    Only one thing bothers me: I have to replace both newel posts. The bottom one looks as though it simply bolts into the side of the stairs and otherwise rests on the concrete floor. The top one, however, seems to disapperar under the floorboards. Now, I suppose I might be unduly worried about this (and I confess haven't had a proper look yet) so it might be an easy job to replace, but I've got the suspicion it might just be a stinker of a job.
    So, looking around, it seems you can get kit, like a double ended bolt, that enables you to cut the old post off at floor level, and screw a new one into the top of it. Seems simple enough.

Just 2 questions
    1) Most important – How the hell do I cut the old post off flush with the upstairs floor and keep the cut flat and LEVEL so the new post isn't all to cock and wobbly?
    2) Will it be sturdy enough? Any experience?

Cheers! 🙂

GTDave
    Free Member

Mark the cuts on the old post with a spirit level & try-square, cut with a panel saw. Simples.

When fitting new post to this, you can either go down the bolt method you previously mentioned, or with dowels & glue.

Some good info here:

http://www.lets-do-diy.com/Projects-and-advice/Woodwork/Replacing-a-balustrade.aspx

Bushwacked
    Free Member

You got pictures?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sorry no pics.

Not sure what a panel saw is, I'll have to google that! 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So, a panel saw is just a standard wood saw then, the flexy type.

So, I'll have to rely on skill to keep the cut level? Gulp.

phyncra
    Free Member

I think you asking for trouble trying to bolt a new newel onto the stump of an old one. I'd be more inclined to try and remove the old newel (which is probably coach bolted onto a joist) and fit a new one in the same way. Those double ended bolty things work OK but not as well as a proper fixing, and wobbly banisters just suck – although they can wobble a fair bit and still be within building regs (25 mm lateral movement at 1000 mm i recall)

Free Member

Hi PP.

I replaced mine in my old house, I used two dowel inserts carefully marked and drilled in and gripfil, followed by 'big chuff off' screws drilled and screwed in an angle which pulled it v.v.v.tight (my battery drills/screwdrivers didnt have enough juice to tighten them up, so i ended up using an SDS with hammer turned off!

Filled all screw holes with gripfil and plenty of paint (they were all done in white)

I guess it depends on your intended finish.

Perhaps using the bolt method, you could use a captive nut so when you fit the new newel, you screw it on. But you'd have to be thoughtful on how you'd go about tightening it should you be quarter of a turn out or so.

Gripfil is a truly wonderful product – don't under estimate it.

On the newel post at the bottom, that was done with a simple half-lap joint again with very hefty screws and plenty of gripfil.

Enjoy 😉

Free Member

I'd be more inclined to try and remove the old newel (which is probably coach bolted onto a joist)

The limited experience i've had with such things has shown the stringer to be cut in to the post too – which in the instances i've seen, would have involved (or appear to have) removing/separating the staircase from the joist…

but don't take my word for it, as i said that's the instances i've seen. And i'm no chippy!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think you asking for trouble trying to bolt a new newel onto the stump of an old one. I'd be more inclined to try and remove the old newel (which is probably coach bolted onto a joist) and fit a new one in the same way.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. Not pulled the floorboards up yet though, but looking at the front of it, it appears to be structural to the staircase. You can see it in the corner of the top step…..

Perhaps using the bolt method, you could use a captive nut so when you fit the new newel, you screw it on. But you'd have to be thoughtful on how you'd go about tightening it should you be quarter of a turn out or so.

Yes, my mistake. It's a captive nut in the new post, not a double ended thing. Sorry.

That's the easy bit though. I'm not too bothered about how to join the new post to the old stump, just cutting the stump straight and level so the new post doesn't wobble and is vertical…..
    And of course I'd raher not have the stairs fall down too. 😉

Free Member

set square, tenon saw and cut above the line 😉 easy 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Replacing Bannisters – Newel posts. (Any chippies about?)’ is closed to new replies.