Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Replacing a stolen roadie – what build kit?
  • SamB
    Free Member

Earlier this year, my Cervelo was stolen. Inquiries are still ongoing but it’s not likely to turn up anytime soon, so I need to build up a replacement to use over winter.

I’ve sorted a new frame and have my spare wheels to use, but now I need to sort a build kit…. and I’m not sure what to go with. Couple of options:

1) Stay cheap; a 105 or Ultegra mechanical groupset over winter, then re-evaluate come Spring.
    Upside is a low initial outlay and if I *do* recover the bike, I won’t lose too much money selling on. Downside is I’ll want to upgrade come Spring, and will lose however much the groupset has depreciated by.

2) Middle-of-the road, go for Ultegra Di2. More money than (1) up front (and more to lose on the resale value), and I’ll inevitably want to upgrade come summer.

3) Splurge for Dura Ace Di2 right now. Most amount of money up front, but I’ll lose out bigtime on the resale value if my bike shows up. If my bike doesn’t make it back though, I’ll be fully set up for next summer with kit I want to actually use.

Any opinion on what’s the right way to go? I’m thinking (1) is probably the best to minimise outlay and risk should my bike make it back (fingers still firmly crossed), but I am not looking forward to non-Di2 riding (front mechs 🙁 ). WWYD?

Also, because it will inevitably come up: I want DA Di2 because that’s what I had on the old bike, and I loved riding it. It’s expensive, but it Just Works every time. It’s also very convenient as I can switch between regular bars and aerobars with much less recabling faff, a big benefit come the summer months.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Campagnolo Chorus

chakaping
    Free Member

105 and sell it as a complete bike next year/if yours is returned.

Road bikes usually seem to be worth more than the sum of their parts secondhand.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Replacing a stolen roadie – what build kit?’ is closed to new replies.