Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Replacing a steerer tube.
  • bigthunder
    Free Member

Any good ideas on how to replace a steerer tube on a set of Lyriks? I know its usually total replacement of the csu assembly but I do know an engineering shop who can aluminium weld and have liquid nitrogen. Does anyone reckon its worth trying to fix? I have bought another set of forks but theses are too good to leave. Cant find anyone to press fit so thats out the window as well!

wwaswas

what’s wrong with it? some people have have had them sleeved and an extension added at the top if the steerer is too short for a new frame.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Windwave will do it for Marzocchi forks -just a press fit. IIRC epicylo from here has done some using a homemade press.

Most forks are just a press fit IIRC – so if the fork is scrap otherwise just get the engineering co to press it out and a new one in

bigthunder
    Free Member

Yeah the factory process is a hot n cold press fit. Heat up the crown,cool the steerer and then press. Contraction is the name of the game I believe. Might just turn the engineers loose on it and hope for the best! Full facer and body armour when I try that out I think.

sunnrider
    Free Member

Just in case you´re changing because the tube is a 1.5 and you want a 1 1/8
    Nukeproof do a headset that will let you run a 1.5 fork in a frame designed for 1 1/8, as long as your head tube diameter is 44mm.
    It works, I´ve had it set up on my bike all summer.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Replacing a steerer tube.’ is closed to new replies.