Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Replacing a road frame with a MTB frame.
  • Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I’ve had the crazy notion to turn my Singular Swift frame into a road/commuter/gravel/hack bike and get rid of my Planet X Kaffenback frame which is a bit utilitarian. Don’t really have room to keep 4 bikes but the swift is higher in the keep list than the kaff…..

Looking at pretty much switching all the bits and bobs out from my Kaff but maybe going 1×10 with a either a 38T or 40T on the front and a 11-36 or 11-42 cassette on the read with a X9 rear mech, (I will probably keep it 2×10 to begin with with 50/34 with a 12-28 cassette to begin with)

The reason I want to change to the Swift frame as it will give me greater tyre clearance as I would like to go larger than 32c for general gravel/family use, the Swift might also be a bit more comfortable but I might be kidding myself.

Anyone want to talk me out of it?

Cheers, Steve

tinribz
    Free Member

IME bikes designed for drop bars or flats don’t ride well with the other, mostly because of virtual top tube length, although you haven’t mentioned bars.

I’ve had 35c on my Kaffenback with room to spare but it would never feel like a 29er. The more upright position will make off-road much easier. Existing cables might be a bit short.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Drop bars seem to work with the Swift.

Drop bar 29ers – Gryphon or Swift?

Oh right I was under the impression 32c was as wide as you could go.

New cables will be needed due to the way the Kaff runs them.

Cheers, Steve

nedrapier

Anyone want to talk me out of it?

Nope. If I didn’t have a Peregrine, I’d be looking at a drop bar swift with 2 sets of wheels. Chunky slicks on one, something knobbly on t’other.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Damn…. I’m going to see how wide I can go on my road/CX wheels, as my 29ers are built up with an Alfine and while I could get it to work I’m not sure if will give me the best range for commuting in Cornwall. Might be able to sell/swap it for a normal rear wheel to swap out when I want to go fatter….

Cheers, Steve

nedrapier

I’ve had 2″ fat franks on open pros for long enough to wear out the rear.

Perfectly fine. Heavy for hilly commuting, though!

Have a look back through #singularcycles on instagram or faceboo. there a few pics of a chunky slicked “monster road” Swift.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Thanks Nedrapier, going to look into this more once my wrist is healed, my frame now looks like it could use a new EBB insert, threads look a bit worse for wear, so thats another job…..
    Going to try and use my Alfine as well, there is a few shifter options now.

Cheers, Steve

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Replacing a road frame with a MTB frame.’ is closed to new replies.