Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Replacing a Mk1 Soul for £1k?
  • MoreCashThanDash

My (now even more!) beloved aunt left me one thousand pounds in her will – totally unexpected as she was forever pleading poverty 🙄

MrsMC is adamant that it is mine and I should spend it on bikes. This is probably a trap but she appears adamant.

I’m allowed 3 bikes at a time. Any potential road bike replacement would need a couple more aunts to depart in a similarly generous mood. Any commuter replacement will be done via C2W, no point blowing the inheritance on that.

Which leaves my beloved Mk1 Soul. It’s 11 years old, has a mismatch of midrange 3×9 groupsets of various ages, is – a bit like it’s owner – a bit portly and showing it’s age. But I love it to death – it rides better than I can do it justice, and just looks “proper”. Still turns heads and gets bike shop staff rushing to look at it.

I’m tempted by the idea of bigger wheels as my riding tends to be wheels on the ground longer bridleway bashing days with occasional trail centre red routes – I’d also like to go 2×10 which won’t fit a Mk1 Soul. So is there anything out there I should consider to replace the Soul, or should I look into respraying it and upgrade bits to lighten it a bit and give it a bit more life?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Any £1k bike will be sheeeeeeoite in comparison.

Steel bikes now CEN too – portly.

Why not spend it on something you will keep like some art or furniture rather than spunking it asap on something else you’ll replace in a few years?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Why won’t 2×10 fit the soul?

bigblackshed

EDIT: Why won’t 2×10 fit on a Mk1 Soul? (Beaten to it)

If it’s that nice, and I don’t doubt it in the slightest, I’d track down the last remaining pair of 1-1/8″ forks in the flashiest variety available, an XT groupset, and a respray. Then enjoy it for another 11 years.

deviant
    Free Member

If it has a 3×9 why won’t it take a 2×10?

Difficult one this….your Soul will have the narrow 1-1/8 head tube, narrow 27.2mm seat post and stays as thin as pencils that made steel bikes of this age great to ride….sorry to break it to you but they don’t make them like that anymore.

Any replacement frame will likely have a 44mm or tapered head tube, a 30.9 or 31.6 seat tube and larger diameter tubing all round….it’ll probably have a 142mm rear axle spacing to boot….it will feel harsh compared to what you have.

If it was my £1000 I’d fit the Shimano XT 1×11 group set when it comes out next month…..I’d source a new fork that has a 1-1/8 steerer, may have to hunt around but it’ll be worth it to keep this frame, if you can’t get new then find second hand and pay Loco, TF etc to fully recondition them….new 26 inch wheels, I’d use Superstar’s custom wheel builder but I know some people shy away from SS, never had a problem myself though…..then I’d get some new XT brakes…..

….job done, new drivetrain and brakes, new (or nearly new) fork, new wheels….same classic Soul frame.

If you have money left get the frame blasted and powder coated.
    Should give you another 11 years use like that without getting caught up in the 650b nonsense, plus tyres gimmickry etc etc.

I may be biased as I have a steel frame on 26 inch wheels, mine is more burly than a Soul but unless it breaks I won’t be swapping any time soon.

andyl
    Free Member

custom frame built to be like the soul but with dropper and tapered fork friendly tubes?

nickdavies

11 years old? That’s a classic and should see you out! Don’t think I could part with that. New group set on it, give everything a good service and put the other £500 in the pot so spend on it in 12 months – so it feels like getting a new bike twice 😉

riddoch

On the mk1 the inner ring on 2x touches the chainstay.
    Would the money let you go 1×11?

mulacs

I’ve also got a mk1 Soul, love it to death and will keep it till it snaps.
    I’ve been through something of a similar situation and have two thoughts.
    Either update the Soul with the latest frame, new forks and 650B wheels and port the rest of the bits over, updating to 1x as and when costs allow.
    Or
    Do as I did and get yourself a full sus frame on the cheap, and port your bits to thar, again updating as and when you can.either option gives you the opportunity to hide the soul and rebuilt it quietly on the sly 🙂
    I snagged a Genesis Grapil frame on a psa, cheap forks and dropper, and now am plotting getting my Soul back up and running. I miss the beast!
    New wheels/brakes/finishing kit will make your old bike v new though, Hope Crest/flow wheels, bling Guide brakes, SRAM Xx whatever group set, Thomson dropper… Mmm!
    Too many options.

MoreCashThanDash

Yeah, you’ve kind of confirmed my thoughts. So thanks for that.

I’ve looked into 2×10 with Cotic a couple of times but as riddoch says, the chainstay isn’t the right shape.

Not sure about 1×11 on a bike that has to get an unfit me up and down everything. Think I need to track down a complete 3×10 XT groupset and look into some lighter wheels wrapped in some pretty rubber.

Any ideas on a fork though? I’m completely out of touch. Currently using an old MX Comp. Would need to be 100-120mm travel, 1-1/8th steerer, preferably lighter and I guess the whole QR/axle thing then knocks onto the wheel choice.

andyl
    Free Member

Ball pein hammer – sorted 😉

How about a 27.2 dropper (thomson/KS), see if TF can work some magic on your forks (new damper maybe) and 1×10 or 11 with a nice wide range?

andyl
    Free Member

Ball pein hammer – sorted 😉

How about a 27.2 dropper (thomson/KS), see if TF can work some magic on your forks (new damper maybe) and 1×10 or 11 with a nice wide range?

MoreCashThanDash

My riding has never, ever required the thought of a dropper post! 😆

1-1/8th forks are a bit like hens teeth it seems…

nickharv

I have a Mk1 Soul frame which I bought in 2004 but never built up, it lived in the loft for over a decade until I finally built it up last autumn when I realised new 1 1/8 straight steerer forks would soon be extinct.

I’m running it 1 x 10 and with 120mm Reba RLs and a Hope Pro2/Arch Ex wheel set. Can’t believe I didn’t build it up earlier as it’s the most fun of all the bikes I’ve ever owned.

Bigblackshed’s suggestion sounds spot on to me!

nickharv

1-1/8th forks are a bit like hens teeth it seems…

If you don’t mind a 15mm axle which I’m guessing means new wheels, then here’s some Revelations, only 2 left mind you!

http://www.alltricks.com/mtb/forks/forks/rockshox-revelation-rct3-solo-air-26-140mm-15mm-maxle-black-131-148015.html

bigblackshed

There’s some Rockshox Reba or SID 120mm straight steerer QR on Bike-discount.de.

Those revelations are nice forks, I’ve got some older 20mm axle ones. They space down 120mm. Although the 15mm axle means new wheels.

You could always look out for some 2nd hand Hope hubbed wheels, they’re all convertible from QR, 15mm, 20mm. They come up regularly for £200-250 in decent nick.

Merlin have 3×10 XT groupsets. £299 for transmission or £429 with brakes.

deviant
    Free Member

Sort the 1-1/8 steerer forks first, you’ll likely need wheels compatible with a 15mm front axle once you’ve done that, then do the wheels next obviously…then look at a new 3×9 drivetrain from CRC, I’m sure I’ve seen Deore, SLX and XT all in 9-speed and all new on their site recently?

Doing it in any other order makes no sense, get the ‘old’ standard steerer forks bought first then you know what wheels you need.
    Flatoutcycles website (second hand) had loads on last time I checked, quality varies from £150 tatty Fox and RS items that need servicing to £300 nearly new forks.

I’ve resisted going 1×10 as I like the granny cog on long climbs but with Shimano’s 11-speed cassettes having 40-42 tooth sprockets on them as the low gear I’m going to make the change later this year.

Could you not fit a 2×10 simply by using spacers on the drive side to clear the chain stay?

Northwind

There’s a ti slackline with good everything in the classifieds for a grand. That’s going to be my answer to every “what X for a grand” question til it sells.

MoreCashThanDash

Thanks guys, I have a cunning plan forming…..

zero-cool
    Free Member

Why can’t you space out a 2×10 crankset so it doesn’t rub on the frame?

matt_outandabout

Don’t forget to factor in a few quid for a new paint job, for that new bike feel…

core

I’d be having the frame painted/powder coated, new drivetrain, new wheels, new forks.

I really love my soul, and it’s only a Mk2, not the holy grail Mk1, but I am worried about fork replacement down the line. Currently on 120mm dual air reba’s with 15mm axle, Pro2 wheelset, everything else deore, 3×9.

Guess I should just really keep on top of servicing, or buy a spare set soon for when the day does come……

jambalaya
    Free Member

Nice thread 🙂

iainc

yeah, lets see some piccy’s of these old obsolete bikes !

Mine the other week :

MoreCashThanDash

Yours is not old and obselete with those decals. Trust me 😉

bubs

I keep my MK1 Soul (with stupid top tube routing) relatively fresh by grabbing bargains from the classifieds when I see them – keeps that new bike feeling going. I have tried and moved on other hardtails over the years but none have matched the Soul’s ride quality. It is so springy (in a good way). Wheels and forks would be where my money would go. Must check my frame number to see how classic my classic is.

bigrich

my god, it’s so out of fashion!

(technically it’s the last of the 27.2/1’1/8″, but same deal)

MoreCashThanDash

bubs – can you get older than frame 165?

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

I ran my Mk1 Soul for a while with 22/36/bash and it was fine, with the newer, larger cassettes I can’t imagine you’ll need a larger spread of gears…
    If you like it, keep it, just make your other bikes different enough that you’ve covered your riding bases.
    FWIW I have a Mk1 Soul frame that i no longer use and a Karate Monkey with a 29+ front that gets most use now. Seems a lot of the big boys are now adopting 29+. I find its very good for bumpy bridleways ploughed fields but still not as draggy as a full fat bike.
    Yet to find the cash to go full full 29+ but 29ers generally suit me, the Solaris would be a good secondhand prospect…

chakaping
    Free Member

Don’t rush into anything but try a 29er ht and see if you like it.

Then if you do think big wheels are for you, you could probably get something really nice secondhand for your money.

bubs

Turns out that mine was already obsolete when I bought it, no. 306! Changing the decals to the newer ones was one of my better upgrades as it made the whole bike look less tatty immediately.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Thanks STW, I now seem to find myself buying some new (used) forks for my Mk1…

MoreCashThanDash

Hopefully not the ones I’m eyeing up! 👿

dan2406

This is exactly what i have done. Brought a 2nd hand MK1 that had been re-sprayed (metalic blue – looks stunning!) and currently upgrading parts to it now as well as using old bits from a now rather sorry looking Cannodale HT.

Whats the easiest way to post photos on here as wouldn`t mind knowing how old the frame is.

rob1984p
    Free Member

Keep the Soul, you obviously love it.
    Powder coat it for £40
    Get a 27.2 KS Dropper £200?
    Buy some awesome forks from the classifieds, I got some wicked 426 Revelations for £90 recently!
    Maybe tidy up some other aspects of it and then spend the leftovers on a short break, take her with you for bonus points.

mr_stru

I’m having much the same dilemma. I love the bike but the forks could probably do with replacing and I’m sort of loathe to get some new ones. I’m currently thinking that replacing it with a Solaris is the thing to do given what I mostly use it for. Only problem is I’d like to ride one first :/

Not that I’ll get rid of the Soul, it’s too nice a bike for that. I suspect I’ll just get a rigid fork and single speed it for winter/quick blast rides.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Replacing a Mk1 Soul for £1k?’ is closed to new replies.