• This topic has 22 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Replacement Remedy 9 frame on it’s way, should I sell it or keep it?
  • drunkenmonkey
    Free Member

What do you think?

Trek are doing me a ‘favour’ by replacing the Remedy 8 frame that I ovalised the seat tube pivot points on (it’s been back to them on three occasions since September 08.)

Wheelbase have suggested that i sell the bike and buy something burlier, perhaps not a bad idea.

What price do you think you would get for an 09 Remedy 9 frame with RP23 XV?

If I wanted an all mountain frame that is burlier than a remedy what would you buy?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

i think i’d sell, but if you are getting a rem9 for a rem8 – it might be worth a go? if you dont get on with it then sell it.

in terms of burlier, heckler/reign maybe a good option?

Tracey

New SX Trail looks good and if rides as good as the old one should be spot on

Tracey

Matinmidiswa
    Free Member

The best All-Mountain has to be a Scott Ransom, get a 20, carbon but still burly as hell!!!

rs
    Free Member

I would have thought the remedy is a pretty burly ride, what were you doing on it?

drunkenmonkey
    Free Member

What am I doing on it? Good question… the samee one Trek must be asking themselves.

I’m 6ft+ and 100kg+ in riding kit and ride uk trails with a view to hitting natural jumps/drops etc. I have a very direct riding style, (why go round when you can go over or through) and this would appear to be too much for the bike. I have had it back with Trek 3 times since since new.

Wheelbase where I bought the bike suggested I sell it and replace it with a burlier bike as the remedy is a ‘lightweight long travel trail bike.’

Wheelbase have been very reasonable, I guess I just misunderstood what the remedy is for or how hard I am on my riding kit!?

J0N
    Free Member

Session 88 FR?
    Ask for you money back from trek (unless the price has gone up like other things). Bike not fit for purpose!? Buy another bike from wheelbase.
    Is this a common thing with remedy’s or are you a unique case.
    Did I not hear that they have beefed up the pivots for the 09 bike over the 08 bike.
    What bike were you riding before and were you doing the same stuff on it?

DanBarham
    Free Member

What kind of drops are you hitting, drunkenmonkey? I only ask as I’m running a Remedy 9 and it’s been working great for a while now. I live on the North Shore.

Gratuitous photo:

drunkenmonkey
    Free Member

I’m told that of all the Remedy’s that wheelbase have sold I’m the only one they’ve had back. That the ovalisation of the seatstay pivot points was not a warranty issue as it was obviously ridden too hard for the design of bike and that Trek UK are doing me a favour by replacing the frame.

I ride mostly around manchester, UK. So Peak District/Lakes/North Wales etc I like ride centre’s particularly if they have north shore and jump parks.

I’m not riding off 5ft drops or hitting big jumps at all just regular Uk trails, perhaps faster and a little harder duee to my weight and I thought because the bike was designed to handle it. Mistake on my part.

drunkenmonkey
    Free Member

Jon,

I was riding a Spec Stumpjumper Expert and doing much the same stuff and I admit, that bike was getting a fair old beating hence the ‘upgrade’ to a burlier ‘all-mountain’ style bike.

jumping_flea
    Free Member

Hello there

That sounds abit worrying
    I’m running a Remedy 8 (08) and am around 100kg+ also.
    Not had any problems with it yet and I’ve given it a fair bit of abuse – including drops and general direct riding like yourself (also in the peaks)
    The reason I went for the Remedy was that my prophet was going to blow a shock or fork (lefty) if I kept running it the way I was.

I will have to keep an eye on that one

BillOddie

I have a very direct riding style, (why go round when you can go over or through)

Or put it another way “I’m a bit crap on a bike and have unrealistic expectations of a relatively lightweight long-ish trail bike.”

noidea
    Free Member

Just bought my wife a remedy on Monday from wheelbase,they seem a nice bike.I was tempted by one but at around the same weight as you opted for an orange alpine 160 with coil both ends instead as i felt i would break the remedy and dont like air shocks at my weight.

drunkenmonkey
    Free Member

Jumping Flea

I wouldn’t worry too much, like I said Wheelbase said it was the only one they had trouble with and if you look on the internet there aren’t really any other issues to be found (apart from my earlier posts). I think BillOddie (above) is partly right a ‘crap’ riding style and perhaps being unlucky with some issues with the bike had led me into this position. Unfortunatly I love the bike and the ride so don’t know what to do next.

Tiboy

The problem you’re going to face is the increase in weight for a burlier bike. I’ve got an 06 enduro, which is very much over burly for what I do, but it has served me well when I’ve picked some downright awful lines! However I’m now in the opposite position to you, wondering if I could get away with something lighter!? Sorry, not much help, but understand your struggle?!

drunkenmonkey
    Free Member

Tiboy,

know what you mean, essentailly where is the compromise you can live with between weight and durability. I made a mistake and now need to take another pick. Here’s hoping for the right choice, but hey, at least it’s fun looking …

hicksville
    Free Member

Titus el guapo/ older supermoto……just brill

noidea
    Free Member

If you like the Remedy i would keep it,they have a liftime warranty on the frame dont they?.There is a guy on mtbr who has had a couple of frames due to cracking them but Trek have replaced no problem.If not take a look at the alpine 160 as they arent that bad weight wise.

Tiboy

how much do you reckon you’d sell the remedy frame for, you’ve got me thinking now?!

DM52
    Free Member

keep it – or if it is a medium sell it to me at a ridiculous bargain price. I fall into the similar ‘big boned’ category and have stuck the older style all mountain Trek, the liquid, through a fair amount of the rough stuff – ran it at the mega last year, loads of trail centres, drops to transitioned landings etc and it is still going.

Thought I had damaged the bottom bracket shell over the weekend but that turned out to be the threads wearing out on the drive side bearing cup.

drunkenmonkey
    Free Member

I have some concerns about continuing to ride it, trek aren’t warrantying the frame they are replacing as a customer service issue. I would be concerned that if it happened again i wouldn’t get another frame and be stuck with a knackered frame.

As for sale value I really don’t know…I will unfortunatly be looking to get as much out of it as poss….perhaps £1500 for frame and shock

BillOddie

1500? Try half that.

mboy
    Free Member

Does seem a bit odd to me considering the use the Remedy is designed for (it’s not just a long travel XC bike!) that you have managed to cause such obvious damage just by being a bit heavy and not particularly a smooth rider, yet no big drops and the like.

The problem you’ll have if selling the Remedy is that anything you buy that’s more “fit for purpose” is going to be heavier and not as good at going uphill quite frankly. If you were asking me what bike to get yet I didn’t know you had had trouble with a Remedy, I’d actually be suggesting a Remedy right now as I think they’re possibly the best combination of weight/burliness/efficiency/price for a full sus bike on the market right now. So it’s a shame this has happened! The fact they’re not warrantying the frame, but only replacing it on a “customer service issue” does worry me though. What use is a warranty if the manufacturer just say “rider is too fat/clumsy” every time they have a frame back? NONE!

Anyway, if you sell it (it ain’t worth £1500!!! More like £750 as BillOddie says) look at something like the Giant Reign or Reign X. Giant’s ALWAYS come up a bit overbuilt for their use (and subsequently you don’t see many broken!), they ride ace (I LOVE my Reign X), still climb very well, descend very very well etc. Just a bit heavier than the Trek really!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Replacement Remedy 9 frame on it’s way, should I sell it or keep it?’ is closed to new replies.