Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Replacement forks for Trek EX5 Fuel 2010
  • collinsdayle
    Free Member

Hi,

I wanted to get people’s thoughts on some replacement forks for my Trek EX5 2010.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2010/archive/fuelex5

I want some air sprung forks and am looking for spend around £300 if possible.

Also, I’m not technical at all and although my bike spec says “RockShox Tora SL w/coil spring, preload, rebound, TurnKey lockout, alloy steerer, 120mm” I don’t actually know what spec fork I need to replace it with. For example, I was looking at these 2012 Rockshox Reba RLT Forks on Merlin Cycles … but I don’t actually know if they will fit!!!

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/frame-forks/forks-shocks/rockshox-suspension-forks/2012-rockshox-reba-rlt-forks.html?utm_campaign=googlebase-GB&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=Rockshox+Suspension+Forks

Thanks.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They should fit, yes.

Have you considdered saving up a little more and getting a new front wheel as well? The bolt through axle makes as much of a difference as better damping in my oppinion and the forks are the same price.

br
    Free Member

Either the 100 or 120’s I’ll fit, but with the 120’s you’ll (probably) need a new front wheel as they are 15mm axles – which is not a bad thing.

Pretty much any air Reba/Recon/Fox 120mm fork will fit, just ensure they are not tapered steerer.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

[edit] I didn’t spot that the QR ones were 100mm, so yes you’ll need a new front wheel, of the steerign will get a bit sharper.

dantsw13

My old fuel ex had a 130 front fork, so you could get the 150 revelations from Merlin, put the internal spacers in to make them 130. There is a hope pro2/xm819 front wheel in the classifieds on here for £60. The hope hubs can be changed to fit any axle with a swappable adapter.

That would set you back £330 total with merlins offer at the moment.

You could also keep the fork if you ever got a frame with more travel.

collinsdayle
    Free Member

Nice, thank you. I’ve only got limited funds and I’m stretching it as is so I might not be able to change the wheel as well (although I’d love to!).

So I think I’m getting it, the important bit is “Q/R Axle” (quick release?) because that’s what I’ve got already, and also make sure they are not tapered. So, just as an example, scanning the merlin site again something like these would fit … “120mm Travel – Q/R Axle – White – Crown Lockout”?

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/frame-forks/forks-shocks/rockshox-suspension-forks/2012-rockshox-reba-rl-forks.html

Thanks.

dantsw13

Yes, they would be perfect.

collinsdayle
    Free Member

Stunning. Thanks a lot for the help.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Replacement forks for Trek EX5 Fuel 2010’ is closed to new replies.