Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Replacement for UN52
  • avdave2

My bottom bracket has started to develop play so I need to replace it. The obvious choice is the UN54 but what else should I consider. Priority is fit and forget, the 52 has done 4 years of commuting all year round, the last 2 years being off road. I don't mind paying more to get something lighter but not if it won't last. It also needs to be avaliable as a 73mm/113mm. Also what tool will I need to remove the old bracket, it's fitted in an ebb though I assume that makes no difference.

Thanks

joolsburger
    Free Member

I have here a 73 110 UN54 brand new if it's any use to you 5 quid posted?

nuke

I'd just get a UN54. Yes you could spend out on Royce BB but the UN54 does the job great…all my bikes have Shimano UN52/3/4 BB and I can't even remember when I lasted replaced them as they have been transplanted from bike to bike for years.

Standard splined BB tool my fitting and removal like this…

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=25&item=BBT-22

…although cheaper are available

avdave2

Thanks joolsburger but I'll stick with a 113mm as the chainline is spot on with the Rohloff and also I don't want to move the chainring any closer to the chainstay.

joolsburger
    Free Member

No worries.

nuke

He gets a 'Thanks' for trying to flog you something where as I get nothing for giving my opinion on UN54 and providing a link to your tool query…don't know why I bother 🙄 😉

avdave2

Apologies Nuke but I haven't been back to you yet as I was following up your suggestions and have just bought the UN54 and the Park Tools BB tool from CRC. So now you can spend the rest of the evening feeling very smug and self important. I hope my eternal gratitude is reward enough. 🙂

nuke

whyter

@joolsburger: I'll have the un54 for a fiver if you're still selling.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Replacement for UN52’ is closed to new replies.