Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Replacement External BB Bearings
  • singlespeedstu

Just taken some bearing out of a Shimano external BB.

They’re 6805’s but the depth is only 6mm.

They only 6805’s I can find have a depth of 7mm.

So where do I get bearings to fit the Shimano cups?

coffeeking
    Free Member

All 61805s (6805s) are 7mm, its an industry standard sizing IIRC?

sockpuppet
    snaps
    Free Member

Bought a pair last week from my local http://www.eriks.co.uk/Bearings/

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Why bother with fitting bearings.

Get some replacement cups from Superstar Components, I’ve heard loads of great things about them.

£19.95, cheap as chips.

Fagus
    Free Member

Get some Enduro bearings from BETD. They are 6MM, and you don’t need the top hat.

singlespeedstu

coffeeking.
    The shimano bearing are marked as 6805 but only measure 6mm depth. 😕

speaker2animals

The reviews I’ve seen in 2 mags give SS BB bearings a poor rating. Very short life.

BETD do em for about £20 and Sideways can do Phil Wood replacements. They were about £35 fitted but that is couple years ago now.

singlespeedstu

I’ve had Phill Woods done at sidways before but I’m just looking for a cheap replacement while i wait for the King BB and grease gun to come into stock.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

The reviews I’ve seen in 2 mags give SS BB bearings a poor rating. Very short life.

Thats odd as they always seem to get very good reviews from actual users on here.

singlespeedstu

The pooperstar BB is by far the worst I’ve tried so far lasting less than a month…..

Even the ceramic one didn’t last as long as a Shimano. 🙁

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Perhaps you didn’t follow the fitting instructions correctly singlespeedstu.

A poor craftsman always blames his tools.

singlespeedstu

Whatever mate.

You sound like you work for fruit making a judgement without seeing what happened to the bearings……

Gary_M
    Free Member

Why would you pay £20 for bearing when the whole unit costs about that? Not getting at anyone, just interested.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Perhaps SSS, or perhaps I’m just laying some groundwork for what may follow.

😉

Oh and ‘chomp’.

singlespeedstu

I’m not interested in slagging anyone off just after some cheap bearings to tide me over.

nickc

I have a suspicion that Sooty may have hooked a couple there.

tails
    Free Member

i wouldn’t go near the SSC B/B it chopped some guys xtr axle in two. SSS on a more serious note why don’t you just wait for the king it’s not as if your short of bikes, or you could swap them off another bike?

singlespeedstu

it’s not as if your short of bikes

😆 at tails.

You do have a point but i like my bikes to be ready to go straight out the pile. 😉

speaker2animals

Would the bearing width really create a problem SSS? I wonder if Shimano have “bespoke” 6805s made that are narrower? Maybe that is why they don’t last as long as replacements? If you look at the BETD link above it states that the bearings they use are 1/8th” instead of Shimano’s 3/32nd.

I have done a search on a site that lets you put in the dimensions required. The search came up empty when I put in 6mm width.

Is the bearing cartridge just a friction fit in the external cups or does it get held in with a circlip? If it is push fit surely it will still fit in the cup? There is no shoulder on the BB shaft so should work. Looks like you’ll be paying from about £6.00 each up from what I have found on line.

Where do you live? Anywhere near to BETD, cos if you can call in you could get a quick turn around and know that the bearing fits for £20. Otherwise you’ll be paying at least £12 and “we” may have missed something so they don’t work. BETD link mentions the loss of Shimano’s shim when their bearings are used. Can you measure the internal diameter of the shaft face? I wonder if this is bigger than the 25mm of the 6805 bearing?

singlespeedstu

Right I’ve just taken the Phil Woods bearings out of a RF cup.
    These measure 7mm. It seems the difference is in the plastic sheild that sits over the bearing.
    The shim in the shimano cup is 1mm thicker than the shim that was used with the PW/RF combo.
    So it looks like I could fit the 7mm bearings and use the thinner shim to get the same width as a standard shimano.

BTW The shimano bearing internal diameter’s 25mm.

nickc

Isn’t it easier just to buy the whole lot? Does save all the arse-ing about.

carlphillips
    Free Member

i did the betd buy 5 sets of bearings get a tool free thingy, seems like a good un to me..

Gary_M
    Free Member

I asked the same thing nickc, but not had an answer.

richcc
    Free Member

I’ve just had Enduro/Endura(?) ones fitted by Swinntertons – not had bike out yet but took their recommendation and had those instead of Shimano

singlespeedstu

So then who’s used the BETD bearings?

carlphillips
    Free Member

the betd ones are enduro

Offroading
    Free Member

SSC BB’s are utter tosh. Had 5 of which none lasted more than 3 rides. Piece of cheap crap.

julianwilson
    Free Member

i have an ssc gxp one which is just fine after a whole 5 filthy rides.

offroading, why did you get through five before deciding they were crap? I was going to try one at a time, but having discovered enduro replacements at the same price as whole ssc ones i hope to stick to them.

Offroading
    Free Member

well SS just kept replacing them under warranty so i went along with it.

Apparently i was the only one in the whole country having problems with them….

The XTR unit they replaced ran fine for over a year and the new other brand unit im running at the momment is working perfectly too.

speaker2animals

Bugger – just deletted a long reply.

Glad we sorted it in the end, so you should be ok for something a bit under BETDs £20 Stu. Bit of research and application soon sorts it all out.

As for those who asked Stu why go to the effort instead of just buying a complete unit? He does say that he’s buying some Chris Kings when they arrive. So they are going to be pricey so why spend anymore than necessary now? Also have you never tried to solve a problem? How often do “we” get told that “oh yeah you have to buy the whole thing, it’s a specific part” when maybe if we could be arsed you wouldn’t have to?

Maybe the “world” wouldn’t be in such a crap state if we actually only replaced parts that require it, rather than whole items.

Stu – so the only Q remains – why do Shimano tag the bearing as something it isn’t? But we sorted them buggers.

Best of luck mate.

Gary_M
    Free Member

speaker2animals no need to get so defensive, I only asked a straight forward question.

MrOvershoot

Christ are we still wibbling on about this after all these years!

Early HTII BB units use a custom 61805 bearing some are 1RS and some are 2RS most were 6mm width not the industry standard 7mm.

Yes the SS HTII unit as supplied was/may still be pants. I only bought one as a cheap way of getting spare BB cups/top hat units.
    The original unit lasted 1 Peak ride and died, I fitted new bearings and lubricated as they should have been in the first place.
    Just over a year later through one of the wettest summers on record its still spinning fine on a bike I use in the worst conditions.

IMO the main problem is lubrication, not re-lubrication but initial installation lubrication. If all the void areas are packed with a good quality grease that resists washing out then they will last.

julianwilson
    Free Member

well SS just kept replacing them under warranty so i went along with it.

Apparently i was the only one in the whole country having problems with them….

that is well funny! 😆 i wonder how many replacements you could have got up to?

singlespeedstu

Mr Overshoot.

The BB I took apart isn’t an early unit. It’s off a crank that’s just under a year old.

I agree on the lube thing though.

That’s why I’m waiting for a King unit and grease adaptor.

MrOvershoot

Sorry should have also said anything LX or similar, though I have found some newer XT units with the 6mm bearings?

Perhaps Shimano have dropped back to the 6mm unit as a way of stopping people replacing the bearings?

Gary_C

I had a R/F bb that wents tits up,& coupled with its predecessor,(also a R/F one,that was in the depths of my spares box),I decided rather than just buy a complete new unit,to buy 4 bearings off my local friendly bearing factors,(£40 for 4),& fit ’em myself.
    Even though they are good quality SKF bearings,I popped the seals off & was surprised at how little grease was in them,so I packed them with plenty of good quality grease,& hopefully they’ll last.

Whatsit
    Free Member

The problem with bearings in general is they’re manufactured for machinery and high rpm applications therefore the grease can’t be overfilled as it needs expansion room etc.

I can’t believe no one in the industry has sussed that the basic requirement for our low RPM and mostly wet usage would be extra grease in the buggers in the first place.

Oh and my SSC alike ceramic bearings were found to have seized after about 4 months light but wet use,I managed to free them off but don’t hold much hope for their longevity.

I was surprised they’d actually seized tbh as the cranks where stiff to rotate but still spun, it was the top hats that the spindle was rotating in, if they weren’t there it’d be metal to metal contact which would happen with the betd bearings and any others that forego the top hat, which’d make a right royal mess of the spindle pretty quickly I should imagine.

Apparently raceface have redesigned there external BB’s so they <might> be worth revisiting at some time in the future.

singlespeedstu

MrOvershoot – Member

Sorry should have also said anything LX or similar, though I have found some newer XT units with the 6mm bearings?

This was a newer XT unit. 🙁

I just wish they’d hurry up with the King grease tool.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Replacement External BB Bearings’ is closed to new replies.