Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Replacement car keys – what are the options?
  • grtdkad

So I’ve just bought a new, second-hand car but failed to check whether or not the second key they gave me for the vehicle worked or not. And, of course it doesn’t. I’ve replaced the battery but it appears to be goosed.

The main dealer has quoted £320!!! for a replacement. Which feels like (is, blatant) robbery.

Is there an alternative way to get a spare sorted?

Thanks!

footflaps

Possibly just needs the ECU reprogrammed if the battery went flat. Dealer can do it in 5 mins….

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Depends on the car and year. Some Alfas for example are indeed a dealer only option.

plyphon
    Free Member

Similar position for my VW, this was my findings after some research:

1: Main dealer and pay out of your bum for £5 of plastic

2: Most car locksmiths carry oem and non-oem replacements they can code for you. I was quoted £120 I think for a key that will look, feel and function like an OEM

3: Buy a key on ebay and have it reprogrammed. This can be the cheaper option, just is a touch of a faff as you still need to go to a car locksmith to reprogram it. They are happy to do that though, and one even suggested to do that as the cheapest route.

Guess what one I chose? That’s right, a year on and I still only have one key.

falkirk-mark

I got a car key cut and programmed for a clio for £100(mobile auto locksmith) dealer wanted twice that just for key. Locksmith told me if I had lost the only key it would have been new barrels etc and would have been a shitload more.

chakaping
    Free Member

We just have a dumb key as our backup, since the car only came with one key.

Cost about £25 to get cut IIRC.

Timpsons do that and remote keys…
    https://www.timpson.co.uk/services/car-keys

brassneck

I did option 3 but the handbook told you how to re program. Swapped the battery at the same time.

Does depend a lot on make and model of course.

TheFlyingOx

Have a look online for the door trick or whatever it’s called. I had the same with a Lexus. Turns out there’s a combination of opening and closing doors with various windows up or down and lights on or off that will program a key to the car. There are various methods depending on the make & model.

Sounds like nonsense but it really works. Here’s the Lexus version. Might help you in googling for your car.

parkesie
    Free Member

Is it the physical key that wont start the car or just the remote for the doors that dosnt work?
    The remote is potentialy the easiest as how to reprogram after a battery change is often in the hand book. The physical key not working is more of a bind as it will need plugging in to recode at least.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I’ve used http://www.autolocksmithstockport.co.uk/

Very knowledgeable and helpful. If you’re not in the Stockport/Cheshire area he might advise or recommend somebody

grtdkad

Thanks all.
    Good point parkesie, I’ve just checked that :o/

The ‘spare’ key will actually start the car in the ignition as per normal. So it’s just the remote lock/unlock function which is er, non-functional.

project
    Free Member

Drive to caravan site, remove all clothes,helps if its a nudist site, ring AA and say youve lost keys, they send out a man in a van , full camera crew, and key is cut while you wait

parkesie
    Free Member

Check your manual for a battery change procedure or check YouTube for a how to. Chances are you can reprogram yourself.aslong as it isn’t actually broken.

grtdkad

Thanks. Yup will do. Have now used it to open the door ‘conventionally’ ie not remotely. And used it to start the car so it’s not completely fubarr’d.

Will review the manual this weekend…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Replacement car keys – what are the options?’ is closed to new replies.