Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Replacement Brompton shifter (twist)..?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Brompton arriving soon. Want to replace the standard shifter with the sram twist shifter. Which model do I need?

bencooper
    Free Member

A shifter for the T3 will do the trick.

Though on a M-type it’ll be quite cramped for big hands.

solarider
    Free Member

Which speed? The 2/6 speed relies on a rear ‘derailleur’ of sorts. In the case of the 3 and 6 speed models, it has a second shifter to control the hub gear.

In typical Brompton fashion, the rear mech on the 2/6 speed uses non standard parts, so the cable nipple is at the derailleur end of the cable, not the shifter. Try as I might, I have not been able to find an aftermarket replacement because the original is flimsy junk. If you only want to replace the hub gear shifter, you will be fine.

Or, if you or anybody else knows a fix for the 2 speed shifter, please let me know!

emanuel
    Free Member

I used the SA thumbie.works much better

bencooper
    Free Member

Or, if you or anybody else knows a fix for the 2 speed shifter, please let me know!

Working on it 😉

I don’t know why they do that – for the 3-speed there are perfectly good off-the-shelf shifters available, but instead they fit their rattly, plasticky thing. Still, they now seem to have started fitting it straight – they used to fit it squint so the cable tugged when folding and frayed. That was the first fix I always did on a Brompton, sort the squint shifter.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I find the shifters fine.

Its not exactly a performance bike.

loddrik
    Free Member

Just for three speed. Performance bike no, but it will soon be the bike I ride 90% of the time so need it to be right.

And I do have girly hands…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Replacement Brompton shifter (twist)..?’ is closed to new replies.