Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Replacement brake blocks
  • DT78
    Free Member

Time has come to replace the pads in my sram force brakes. Knowing very little I’ve read stuff about different ‘coloured’ blocks…

What do you guys recommend? Just replace like for like or is there a better aftermarket option?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Swisstop ones are supposed to be quite good, although I havent bought brake blocks for years!
    #getwiththeprogramme

geetee1972
    Free Member

Swisstop every time here. Obviously make sure you buy the ones for your wheels, i.e. alloy versus carbon; it’s easy to walk away with a set having checked the manufacturer but not the wheel material!

They do come in two compounds; a harder wearing set in black and a slightly softer but higher performing set in purple. I run the latter and you do notice much better braking in the wet. It’s less noticeable in the dry.

chakaping
    Free Member

Kool Stop Salmons are reasonably priced and perform flawlessly.

Quite a bit better than the pads that came with my Rival brakes, if they’re similar to Force?

mcnultycop

I have Koolstop Salmons. They are a lot better then the stock pads I had, particularly in the wet.

andyeez
    Free Member

+1 for the Koolstop Salmons, much better than the stock Shimano ones

Nobby

SwissStop greens seem to work well in all conditions.

ell_tell
    Free Member

I’ve just switched to Koolstop salmon ones (Supra 2 IIRC) and they’re a million times better* than the bog standard ones that came with the bike

*in the dry at least, not tired em in the wet

TeaBoyPaul

SwissStop here too… they come standard on SRAM Force anyway so you are replacing like with like. Merlin had them cheap(er) last time I needed some.

jonba
    Free Member

Koolsptop salmon – been good in crap uk weather and in the mountains of Europe.

I bought some bbb ones that were great in the dry but lasted all of about 70miles racing in the wet.

DT78
    Free Member

I see swisstop are available from merlin / crc etc…

Where sells koolstop?

ell_tell
    Free Member
    DT78
    Free Member

😳

So, how do those fit with the pad holder thing? I can see the swisstops are like for like whereas the koolstops look like the don’t use the metal block?

Prob just go for green swisstops from the reviews

Gary_M
    Free Member

Swissstop green here.

They do come in two compounds; a harder wearing set in black and a slightly softer but higher performing set in purple

Swissstop do purple pads? Never seen them, green, blue, black and yellow but never purple.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Looking at the pack now; they are BXP Flash Pro ones.

Probably they are blue. My mum always said I would go blind. I guess she meant colour blind 😀

So, how do those fit with the pad holder thing? I can see the swisstops are like for like whereas the koolstops look like the don’t use the metal block?

They don’t; with the swissstop ones you replace the pad in the existing shoe (the pads slide in and have a retaining bolt that screws in perpendicular to the pad). With the Koolstop ones you replace the whole show, which means a little more work to realign the pads once you’ve done this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Replacement brake blocks’ is closed to new replies.