Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Replacement BB for Campag groupset
  • Richie_B

Can anyone recommend and alternative replacement bottom bracket for a Centaur equipped road bike (The current one only lasted 15K miles)? The choice of replacement has got a bit limited. As far as I can see if I stick with Campag its either Veloce or Chorus (I'm fairly sure that the chorus bb is a different length so that probably out). Will any square taper bb work or is campag sized slightly differently?

slugwash
    Free Member

15K = 15,000 miles? Only 15,000 miles? Crikey, you was robbed 😉

Seriously though, my Veloce BB went all rattley yesterday after 3 and a half years with not too much riding in that time. The previous Mirage one lasted eight years with tons of mileage and I only replaced it when I changed the groupset. I'm just gonna replace the current BB with another Veloce 'cos it's only about £12 from Ribble and I invested in the BB tool last time I had to change it.

tinsy
    Free Member

Is that an ultra torque chainset? (with external bearings?)

If it is its designed to be rebuilt, CRC do the new bearings.

Its a matter of minutes to clean and grease it occasionally.

Macavity
    Free Member

The Campagnolo square taper is slightly smaller than the JIS/ ISO taper. Both are 4 degree.

Joxster
    Free Member

Veloce/Mirage/Centaur is 111mm Campag

Chorus/Record is 102mm Campag

Campag and Shimano tapers don't mix well, you can botch it if you want.
    Campag BB

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Macavity – the Campag one is the ISO one. The JIS is the Shimano flavour of taper.

There is mix and match options (think Sheldon explained it).

Ritchie_b – they are a few other bbs that are compatible, but I'd stick with Veloce or Centaur (yes, Chorus/Record is 102mm). £15 for 15000 miles is a pretty good return, don't think it owes you anything!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Replacement BB for Campag groupset’ is closed to new replies.