Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • replacement BB
  • andybrad

Ok so the bb on at the moment lasted all of 9 months. Its a race face x type xc bb. I did consider knocking the bearings out but im thinking it will be a lot quicker / easier just to replace the whole unit.

So what do i replace it with? another raceface one? or something else? Is there anything to consider when moving to another manufacturer and how do you ensue the width stays the same?

cheers

Andy

z1ppy

RaceFace BB’s used to need a warning sign explaining how crap they were. Seems they’ve improved since then (going by yours and other post lately)… Any old Hollowtech II BB will fit (shimano/hope/chris king/etc.. etc), they’re a std size, and have spacers to adjust to 68 or 73mm. I’m happy using shimano ones, but other recommend the like of Hope’s or other that are more expensive. Basically spend as much as you can afford & expect a life expectancy to match 😉

stanleigh
    Free Member

Go for Hope , after years of replacing Shimanos every 6 months on the geared bike & every 3 months on the single speed , I now use Hope & it’s now 2 years & absolutley any sign of wear yet. Worth the money just for the fit & forget factor!

johni
    Free Member

I had the same question 2 weeks ago. I found XT HTII BBs were ~£10 online so went with that option.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve been an advocate of the Shimano disposable ones before but mines on the way out at the minute and a mate raves about his Hope one so I may give one of those a go next. Just seems a lot of money for what it is!

Stevelol
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a gusset ext24 to replace my Hope. The Hope uses a non standard bearing size and they’re £10 a pop, the gusset was £24.29 all in and uses a standard size apparently and according to a few people here lastda long time too.

andybrad

so stick with the shimano one then?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘replacement BB’ is closed to new replies.