Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Replacement 29er wheelset
  • simoncox

Hi I’m look for some advice on a replacement wheel set for my Stumpy 29er HT. I need a wheel set that will reliably run tubeless mainly for XC but strong enough for the occasional trail centre trip. I was considering

1. American Classic 29er MTB
    2. Stans Arch 29er
    3. Wait for the new Mavic Crossmax 29er

I’ve purposely steered away from lighter rims such as Stans Crest as I don’t want wheels with any flex in them. I would be interested to hear people’s opinions on these wheels?

bowglie

Much depends on where you mainly ride and your weight really. I’ve just swapped over from Stans Crest 29er to Arch EX 29er, because like yourself I don’t like feeling wheels flex.

Deepnding on season and how much kit I’m taking, I’m between 90 to 95kg in full riding gear. TBH, I’ve used the Crest 29ers for some pretty aggressive riding in Dalby and not noticed any flex in them. Also done some flying laps around Sherwood Pines on bits of the red and the latest XC course and not noticed flex, even when really flicking the bike over between corners and on the (albeit relatively easy) DH track.

Only time I really noticed flex was on some of the harder & rockier ‘Dark Peak’ natural trails, but then I was on a stiff hardtail, trying to stay in touch with a pal who does a bit of racing – and she was on her 140mm full sus!

I’ve only ridden the Arch EX wheels twice so far, but they are noticeably stiffer. I’m using them on my full-sus 29er – not sure if they’d feel a little harsh on a hardtail, but of course, it depends on the frame you’ve got.

IMO, if you’re less than 80kg in full kit and don’t live somewhere where there’s a lot of loose rock etc., I don’t think you’d have any issues with Crests.

HTH

p.s. I have the AC MTB26 Tubeless on my XC race bike and they’re about as flexy as Crest 26ers. Nice & light tho.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

simoncox – Member
    Hi I’m look for some advice on a replacement wheel set for my Stumpy 29er HT. I need a wheel set that will reliably run tubeless mainly for XC but strong enough for the occasional trail centre trip. I was considering

1. American Classic 29er MTB
    2. Stans Arch 29er
    3. Wait for the new Mavic Crossmax 29er

Oi have you been looking at my internet browsing history?

Exactly the short list i have too, not that i need new rims and wont be till next year.

I have Crosstrails on my 26″ bike and they are great but i really like the look of the American Classics, i think will be edging towards them, they get a very good write up.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Flex is all relative IMHO, I’ve got crests, weigh 80kg and haven’t noticed any flex while riding my 29’er HT including ‘hammering’ some pretty radgnar welsh descents.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Crossmax SLR 29 begins shipping 1st June 😀

yesiamtom
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of XT 29er wheels. Not actually ridden them offroad yet but they are nice and light and easier than my stans crest (26″) to tubeless wheels up. mmmhmm lovely.

neilforrow

BOR Black Tusk wheelset?? 1366g and tough.

simoncox

The main reason for the wheel upgrade is my current wheelset DT Swiss 450SL is rubbish when running tubeless. I can get the tires to inflate ok but as the going gets rough the sealant starts leaking out of the spoke holes and the join where the rim has been welded. I need a reliable tubeless setup for racing. My old 26er bike had UST tubeless wheels with Bontranger Racelite wheels and Panaracer XC Pro tyres. These where much more reliable than the 450SL with S-Works Ground Control tires and Stans no tubes sealant that I’m currently running on my Stumpy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Replacement 29er wheelset’ is closed to new replies.