Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Repairing tubeless tyres
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

I have a tyre which is as new, just with a small tear in it (serves me right for going single ply at Fort Bill). Reluctant to chuck it, and can’t seem to sell it. I’ve read somewhere that you can use normal tube patches, is this true? I’d have thought it’d work, even if it doesn’t seal up perfect surely the sealant would finish the job

goodgrief
    Free Member

Patch on the inside works fine. I’ve stitched and patched a tyre with a 10mm cut.

Bolt

I have repaired them by using a peice of sidewall cut from an old tyre glued in place.
    A normal patch will stretch and push through the cut.

squoglybob
    Free Member

I used an old tube, cut to shape and roughed up with sand paper same on iside of tyre, i bought some Rema Tip Top glue in a tin can bottle type affair. The sort glue sniffers and Farmers are familiar with.

Its stronger than the normal glue in the ickle tubes. Bought from our local farming supplies store.

beiciwr64
    Free Member

I use these plugs.
    Didn’t have much luck with patches due to the stans fluid.

Superficial
    Free Member

A patch on the inside of the tyre works far more often IME than the worms / bacon which are very hit-and-miss. While the worms are very good on the trail (if they work) they’re not the most reliable permanent fix.

Didn’t have much luck with patches due to the stans fluid.

Yeah, you do have to clean it off, although I thought that might be obvious.

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Worms and Bacon ?

Never tried that method 🙂

Plugs i use 😉

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I had a 3/4 inch flint cut across the tread on a tyre last week. I used some waxed nylon twine for rope splicing and stitched it up. Then used some gorilla tape and heavy duty glue to stop any stans weeping out. Worked in holding pressure, but riding on the treaded part started to wear the nylon, so sadly decided to bin it. But worked to a degree and have successfully repair sidewalls in this manner.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Patch inside has worked perfectly for me a couple of times. I’ve used tubeless repair kits for it but the patches look exactly like the stick on tube patches (which I find are crap for tubes).

Other repair is the anchovy stuff but that’s more for trail side fixes with holes in the top. Not had to use them yet. Sealant seems to fix everything except sidewall tears.

Northwind

How big a tear? Patch on the inside is ime foolproof as long as it’s not too big, and can bodge a bigger hole but not that well. Worms are alright for an external fix but don’t make much sense once the tyre’s off, mushroom plugs are better but i reckon more suited for holes than tears…

Personally, I’ve sewn tyres up but I think it’s more hassle than it’s worth, I’ve used it on holiday etc but at home i’d replace.

So I guess what I’m saying is, I’ll patch it on the inside for preference and if the tear’s too big for that I won’t repair it at all usually. So no need for other methods.

kane
    Free Member

Normal patches are a bit weak and tend to bulge out on bigger cuts. I’ve used these with good success on holes up to about 1 cm http://www.rematiptop.com/part.php?pid=58&cid=6&sid=4

rudedog
    Free Member

Normal patches bulge on bigger cuts as they are designed to stretch with a tube. I got some patches from a car tyre repair shop which I think were for farm vehicles – they worked pretty well on side wall tears.

zero-cool
    Free Member

In the past I’ve used a combo of Park Super Patches and duct tape. Just realised it has then spent 3 years on the back of my Brother’s bike with out problems.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’m just fitting anchovies, cutting down the dangly out side a bit and carrying on riding. Seems reet so far. I did one pull one out because it was too long – the tyre equivalent of treading on ones own shoe laces – but since cutting them down a bit, I’ve not had the trouble.

teasel
    Free Member

I did one pull one out because it was too long – the tyre equivalent of treading on ones own shoe laces

Jeez, man, how long are your anchovies…?!

The image conjured up by that sentence is of the front trailing a sticky, stringy mess so long the rear tyre actually runs it over and pulls it out.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

That happened using a standard genuine innovations one. I had already cut it to be no higher than the tread of my Hans Dampf, but the tyre deformed a enough to trap it on the ground and pull it out, presumably on some hard cornering.

I don’t tend to use those ones any more. Most of my tubeless punctures tend to be small cuts, and the larger weldtite ones are much better for those.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Repairing tubeless tyres’ is closed to new replies.