Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Repairing SPD pedals – left handed threads.
  • tthew

In dim and distant memory, I’m sure I’ve properly knackered some cheaper SPD pedals by getting left and right threads mixed up. I have another pair to do, can anyone tell me which pedal has left handed threads to remove the body from the spindle please. Same as the crank thread, or the opposite way round?

Ta.

househusband

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/pedals.html

Because the right pedal has normal threads and the left pedal, reverse threads, turn the pedal axle in the direction of pedaling to install. With the rear brake engaged or the wheel resting on the ground, the chain prevents the cranks from turning.

tthew

Thanks, but I’m OK with the pedal to crank threads, it’s the body off the spindle I’m making sure of. The Park tools page that is linked off Sheldon’s is the most useless thing in the world. I already looked at that.

stevextc
    Free Member

Left hand pedal = left hand thread …

HOWEVER … it’s easier IMHO to simply remember that you need to pedal backwards to tighten… so which ever side or way up the bike is your tightening in the direction the freewheel spins…

ads678

Ignore me….

tthew

Bob on that krixmeister. And confirms that the pedal body threads are not the same as the crank thread. Thanks.

Sundayjumper

Opposite of the pedal thread. And it’s usually marked on the plastic collar.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Repairing SPD pedals – left handed threads.’ is closed to new replies.