Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Repairing Neoshell
  • nickc

Does anyone know how to go about repairing a tear in a neo-shell waterproof. The obvious would seem to be iron on a patch (gore-tex or similar) but does anyone know if neo-shell can be safely ironed?

Any info gratefully received!

dovebiker

You could ping Polartec a message?

Gore-Tex patches would be my suggestion – outer fabric of garment is effectively same as Gore-Tex and provided you don’t apply iron directly to garment i.e. use damp cotton cloth.

alexpalacefan

I’d get some spinnaker tape.

APF

monkeyboyjc

I used a tent patch on my goretex when it got a 10mm long tear in it.
    Stuck it to the inside face with the supplied glue – still holding up after almost 10yrs!

boblo
    Free Member

@nickc Nothing to add re:fixing other than contact the manufacturer.

Slight hijack, sorry. Curious; how old, how many washes and is it still waterproof? I have a neoshell thingumybob and have read the stuff about it losing waterproofing over time. Is that your experience?

nickc

Thanks for all the replies, have emailed polartec, boblo, on the contrary I’ve used and abused it all winter, hand washed it a couple of times and reproofed it with tech wash and it’s still the best performing material I’ve used for a waterproof.

dovebiker

To add, I repaired some overtrousers a few years with a stretch Gore-Tex patch a few years ago and gave it a light iron – hasn’t budged since.

angeldust
    Free Member

Slight hijack, sorry. Curious; how old, how many washes and is it still waterproof? I have a neoshell thingumybob and have read the stuff about it losing waterproofing over time. Is that your experience?

I have a well used ~5 year old Rab stretch NeoShell jacket that has been washed (and proofed) multiple times and it is still waterproof. Look up any material (Gore; Event; Paramo) and you will find stories of it failing (often due to lack of care and/or understanding).

sq225917
    Free Member

I’ve got a roll of stretchy iron on tape for gore-tex if you want a strip. just iron it on with baking paper to protect from the iron. I’ve used it on various stretch fabrics. pm me with address and its yours.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Repairing Neoshell’ is closed to new replies.