• This topic has 9 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Bear.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Renewable Energy
  • Conespanner

In the throws of getting planning permission for an extension on the rear of the house. Being looking at reducing the cost of gas at the same time as it’s easier to install things when the house is up side down.

Has anyone installed a wood burner with a back boiler or a solar water heater? I know I need a traditional type boiler and water storage tank with additional coil. Would the collective recommend any of these additions to the home?

molgrips
    Free Member

Stoner, oh Stoner, where art thou Stoner?

Stoner
    Free Member

if you’re on mains gas, I’d not really recommend it for any financial reasons.

if you are on propane/calor gas then I think it would be a good idea. Thermal store, solar collector, back boiler, gas boiler – all linked up.

Whatever you do, Id recommend looking for an MCS certified installer and getting an RHI eligible installation.

However, it’s also fun doing it yourself, but you wont get RHI payments for it.
    EDIT 😀 Hah! Molly. I was typing while you posted

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Our last rental had solar hot water which was amazing we are in tassie but the number of sunny days was comparable with parts of the UK. It meant we didn’t heat water for about 9 months of the year.

My folks had back boilers on the old coal fire and the log burners they replaced them with backed up with an electric heater. Not used anymore as the oil boiler was more convenient and consistent.

Burning wood is a nice happy idea, if you don’t have tree’s space and time to sort your wood out it’s a pain.

Conespanner

Stoner, Your reply reads similar to that I’ve seen on the web although the prices quoted on the web are nearly double to what I’ve I managed to find in person by visiting various shops.

I had grand ideas, back boiler in line with radiators and panels on the roof but though advice like posted I’ve whittled them down. With a south facing garden the thought of having six months free hot water is had to resist.

TooTall
    Free Member

Have you got your house as well insulated and draught-free as possible? You should always get that as sorted as possible before going anywhere near any roof bling or the like. Max out your insulation, seal up the cracks and gaps that allow cold in and heat out. You’ll get more return for the money spent than anything else.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’m in SW France but 100% domestic solar hot water is at best six months. The other months it’s a preheat tank that feeds a normal hot water tank which could be either gas or electric, as we have PV and I’m trying to reduce CO2 electric was the obvious choice. I’m very pleased to have opted for a two-tank system as it means we always get some solar gain and can feed the washing machine with solar heated water even in Winter. I built it myself so it thermo-syphons; no pumps, control systems or anything to go wrong. It took nearly five years to teach the rest of the family which way the five valves have to point to get water from either solar, solar + electric or only electric.

The wood burner is our only heating so I put an old radiator behind it to feed radiators in the bathroom and main bedroom. It probably only transfers 500W but that’s enough.

Tootall is right, the solar water heater only saves about 100e-120e a year but after insulating the house we were able to get rid of the central heating which meant no gas bill, no standing charge and no maintenance contract/bills.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

If you’re having an extension built now is definitely the right time to look at things. I’m not too clued up on all the solar etc, but make sure you spec the extension correctly in the first place.

Add more/better insulation than building regs requires, and make sure you contractor know how to draft proof things as he’s building. If its insulated really well, and doesn’t leak air its amazing how little heating it will need. Heating generally uses way more energy than hot water.

Olly
    Free Member

Air source heat? With new builds they can be heated entirely through heat recovery from air exchanged with outside air. It should be a legal requirement On new builds if you ask me.

Bear
    Free Member

Olly – wash your mouth out with soapy water!!!!

Renewable energy and you want to use an ASHP? Using electricity generated how? And at what efficiency?

Better ways, new builds should be built requiring no heating other than for DHW. Problem is how to achieve that?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Renewable Energy’ is closed to new replies.