Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Renegotiating house price after the survey
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

So, survey is back and on the whole, doesn’t look too bad. Bit of woodworm, bit of damp and a lack of air bricks. Surveyor estimates aroung £2.5k to put it right. There is other stuff, like the fact the French door lintel not having enough overlap and being supported by the timber door frame but he’s not listed that as needing immediate attention.

So, two questions really. One, do we ask the vendor to knock the lot off which would bring the house back down to the asking price, offer to go halves or just suck it up.

Question two, f we have this conversation through estate agaents, conveyancers or with the vendor?

Any tips?

iolo
    Free Member

If you still want it, give your offer based on what you are prepared to give. So, if it needs work, you offer less based on the results of the survey. It will still cost you the same as you have additional expense.
    Its a buyers market.
    The offer is usually made through the estate agent.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

First I’m sure you’ll get different a view than mine

However …. If I was the vendor I tell you to jog on… do you want it or not ?

How much is 25 hundred quid as % of the price? (you don’t have to answer that on here) … do you want to miss this house because of that?

Course the vendor may be a bit desperate/need a quick sell…. so crack on

Only you can answer or or make a good guess at these questions

Best of luck

Oh … and via the agent

gobuchul
    Free Member

As above, buyers market unless in London.

Speak to the vendor if you can and explain what needs doing.

I would push for more than the actual cost of the work as a discount be reasonable and open.

senorj

We had to suck up nearly all of the negatives the survey revealed on our current place in the south.
    As others have said it depends how popular the property is..and where.
    My brother has recently negotiated a minor improvement in price in a very slow area in The North .
    Do you really want it ?
    We asked the questions through the estate agent.

footflaps

If that’s all that needs doing, it’s nothing. You’ll never find a house needing nothing doing.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I realise it’s a sound property and we do want it but I also know the market is slowing in south Yorkshire and the vendors are moving abroad, in fact, one half of the couple is already over there.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Don’t open too much communication, make it short and precise, either do nothing and go with old price, or send them “following the survey our revised offer is £x”, don’t open a door to back and forths, as long as you’re possibly willing to walk away without it

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Renegotiating house price after the survey’ is closed to new replies.