Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Render cracking behind stove
  • graemethejock

Hello had woodburner fitted for last 2 years render at the rear of it (the back wall of fireplace)is cracking and beginning to come away.is it possible to get a metal plate which covers the back wall of the fireplace?.if so any recommendations?.happy to have a go myself instead of paying someone.i think if it gets rendered again it will eventually start to come away agai.cheers.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just use a heat resistant board and paint it out. Will look the same as render.

teasel
    Free Member

My partner has a huge sheet of stainless behind her fire – looks ace with the rest of the decor. It was quite expensive and that was almost a decade ago; can’t remember off the top of my head.

The fire board stuff Wrightyson mentions is a lot cheaper and is available in various finishes. Well, it was the last time I looked.

flicker
    Free Member

Remove the render and line it with 12mm Hardiebacker, decent tile shops should stock it.

29erKeith
    Free Member

No idea what stove but I know Charnwood does a rear heat shield option for a lot of their stoves your stove manufacturer might do one too

nastybuller
    Free Member

Does your flue come out of the back or out of the top of your stove?

If it’s the back I’d get a 4-7mm steel plate made (around £20-£40) cut a flue sized hole in it and it should be fine.

If it’s the top then get some vermiculite board to dot n dab on the wall behind the stove. It’s heat resistant, it’ll probs need painted though.

Edukator
    Free Member

I used steel sheet painted with heat-resistant paint over rockwool. The multi-layer insulation starts at the distance flammable materials are allowed and is normally covered with wood. The radiator behind the stove recovers a bit of heat for the bathroom, it thermo-syphons but the pump speeds circulation.

JohnB
    Free Member

I used a piece of 6mm steel behind my stove painted black, as I was worried about anything else I could put up cracking.

My other stove has Hardie backer behind it and it has cracked, though I did use a thunder bolt in the middle to hold it to the wall. That was probably a mistake.

aracer
    Free Member

Is it just me who read the title and thought it was about Rudolph?

samuri
    Free Member

Ours has cracked after just over a year. We’re going to replace with some mosaic tiles.

boblo
    Free Member

Looks like Edukator is squatting in Worldclassaccident’s shag palace… 🙂

Edukator
    Free Member

True, the house does resemble an over-sized sauna.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Render cracking behind stove’ is closed to new replies.