Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Renault Megane or seat ibiza ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Looking at both these cars tomorrow 05/06 plates …. similar mileage and spec etc
    whats peoples thoughts ? ….. not sure if the megane is better petrol or diesel ?

jota180
    Free Member

Well, one’s French and ……. er, that’s it really

john_drummer
    Free Member

Megane’s bigger than Ibiza – which is about Clio size.

Seat has VW running gear, Renault, well, it has Renault running gear. The german stuff should be more reliable…

diesel/petrol argument depends on the mileage you do. under 15k a year, petrol is probably better, especially if your journeys are shorter ones

stumpy01

I’ve got an 03 Ibiza – the 1.9 TDi (130). It’s bigger than a Clio, but smaller than a Megane.

It really has been a great car, although a lot of that does come down to the engine. It’s basically the same car as the Fabia vRS.
    I have had very few problems with the car in the 6yrs and 176k miles I’ve done in it.
    It has had:
    A new wheel bearing at 38k miles, which was a weird one. Not quite sure why that failed.
    A new intercooler pipe when one failed at about 80k miles (£45)
    A new air con compressor at about 160k miles, which apparently is common for VAG group cars at that age/mileage.
    And last weekend I had the wipers serviced as the mechanism was sticking – an hours labour. Apparently that’s common as well across VAG group cars.

Bad points – the interior build is OK, but the materials are a bit low rent, if that bothers you. The ride is quite crashy, but I am not sure how much of that is down to the ‘sport’ model that mine is. I don’t think the suspension is standard and it sits on quite low profile tyres.

Do you have any idea what you would be going for? They also do the 1.9 diesel in 100 bhp version and 160bhp Cupra. The 100bhp is perfectly adequate, but the 130 has a nice balance of grunt and economy. I can easily get 55mpg out of mine and since driving a bit more sedately to & from work I am currently getting between 62 and 64mpg out of it. I think they also do a 1.4TDi.
    Let me know if you want any specific info. I might be able to help.

I have never owned a Renualt but no plenty of people who have. I wouldn’t go near one personally…

sparkyrhino

had a couple of seat’s one an ibiza,nowt special both had issues engine managment and electrics.got a megane 2 at the moment one word AVOID.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

Don’t buy a megane unless you want windows that open themselves at night in the rain, it’s a real fault on them and its around £300-400 a pop

marvincooper

Renault = rubbish. Seat = quote good. Therefore, Seat wins. Simple 🙂

I have a Seat, which is quite good. Have never had a Renault but nevertheless am quite happy to declare them to be, generally, a bit rubbish. So, referring to my earlier proposition, the Seat wins.

Please note that all the above was written in a slightly alcohol induced daze and I am in fact quite impressed with myself for being able to type.

The Seat still wins though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Renault Megane or seat ibiza ?’ is closed to new replies.