Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Removing shifter windows – what to use to cover the exposed inner?
  • dawson

As per title really – about to fit a new shifter and it has the gear selector window on it – its only 2 little screws holding it on – what do people use to cover the hole/opening that will be left when I remove the window?

(there have probably been threads about it, but my ways with the search facility are lacking)

Jamie
    Free Member

There should be a blanking plate in there somewhere. I know XT have ’em.

BMC09
    Free Member

Blanking plate is attached to the read of the index window.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Same with SLX IIRC, the covers should be supplied tucked in the back of the shifter windows.

dawson

Ahh, ok, I’ll have a look – these are new, unused in a plastic bag but old Deore – might be 5 years old

orangefive
    Free Member

yep – should be a plate on the back.

nick1962
    Free Member

+1 for what Jamie said,SLX do too.
    I used one of those circular carbon type frame protectors on my LX shifters as they don’t have blanking plates.Still there now over two years later.

rudedog
    Free Member

I didn’t think Deore had the option for removing the windows? Mine didn’t anyway. You can buy replacement blanking covers for SLX and XT for a couple of quid.

dawson

I think its M580 – just took the shifter window off, but can’t see a blanking plate – might see if i can get some thin plastic to make a cover.

Ta, folks.

billyboulders
    Free Member

If its just a little round hole thats exposed (like it was on my ancient xt shifters) then the rubber “feet” on the bottom of an old dvd player-and I suppose a load of similar electrical stuff, fit in there perfectly and have stayed in for a years now. I discovered it ‘cos I had a junk dvd I was throwing away.

They work so well my brother had the other two and most people I ride with have the same – dunno where they got theirs, tho a couple of the display dvd players on display in the local Tesco extra seem to be missing the little rubber bits 😉

mr_mills
    Free Member

Deore ones aren’t meant to be removed. At least they weren’t a couple of years ago when I had some.

njee20
    Free Member

Electrical tape.

nbt

njee20 – Member
    Electrical tape.

+1, and it’s a lot lighter than a blanking plate for you weight weenies too cost conscious to buy XTR 😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I never knew this! Got out on my new XT’d bike yesterday and at one point thought why do they still bother putting them on.

I think I’ll be taking mine off tonight, is it an easy job, or do I need to take the shifters off the bar?

nbt

you need to access the top plate so you might need to move brakes out of the way, but no need to take the shifters off the bar

ratherbeintobago

is it an easy job

Instructions here

Also appear to be integral (ie. you can’t take them off) on 2011 Deore

Andy

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Park puncture repair patch.

partyboy1101
    Free Member

Gaffer tape

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Iwas led to believe that the end of a biro pen (the plastic plug bit) fits perfectly in there.

Never tried it though asi don’t remove the windows.

andrewh
    Free Member

Do XTR M950 have blanking plates? I can’t find them, but that doesn’t mean they’re not there!

Mugboo

I superglue those little black screw covers that cost penny’s in DIY stores.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Removing shifter windows – what to use to cover the exposed inner?’ is closed to new replies.