Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Removing rubber grips in one piece??
  • psychle
    Free Member

Normally I'd just slice them off… but there's no way I'm doing that to these bad boys:

So I need to get the grips off undamaged, how can I do it? I've tried heating with a hairdryer, thought warming them up might make it easier, but no joy 🙁 Is there a special trick I can employ?

cheers 🙂

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Hairdryer will just make the rubber tacky. Spoke down the inside and some gt85.

cynic-al
    Free Member

ditto but hairspray – won't need to be cleaned off.

speaker2animals

Move the gripshift and brake lever as far toward the stem as you can. As above use a spoke or chopstick to get under the grip. Use the straw on a GT85/WD40 to get up with the spoke. Squirt and work round under grip. Generally by the time you get half wayround it should come free.

Always worked for me. Pre-lock grips.

psychle
    Free Member

cheers chaps, knew there had to be a secret method! shall crack on with it and see how I go 🙂

The-Badger
    Free Member

assuming you've not stuck them with evostick or simelar adhesive…

undo the gripshift andf slide away from the grip a little.

turn the bike on its side prise the grip away from the bar a little and pour some weak washing up liquid between grip and bars. wiggle around a bit with a blunt screwdriver/spoke etc – twist off grip.

psychle
    Free Member

success! thanks guys 🙂 in the end brute force was used to roll them off (after moving the shifters and brake levers down the bars as suggested). now to figure out how much to sell the set for!

mollyiom
    Free Member

blow compressed air down the side from an air line, works for putting them back on also.

jd-boy
    Free Member

Hairspray, Plus it sticks them back on when you replace them again, GT85/WD40 does not do this. All good spanner men have hair spray in their tool box

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

+1 for compressed air, assuming you have a compressor

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Removing rubber grips in one piece??’ is closed to new replies.