Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Removing rear brake from an Orange 5 without needing to bleed it afterwards?
  • bubs

Hello,
    I need to take the rear xt disc brake off my Orange 5 and fit it to my new frame. The internal routing means that this is not as straight forward as I had hoped. What is the best way to do this without needing to re-bleed the system?
    Thanks

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you remove the calliper from the frame and pump the lever ( being careful not to push the pads right out) then separate the brake line at the lever end when yo reconnect it and push the pistons back you should be able to push any air back into the master cylinder. YOu will get away with this 3/4 of the time

andrewh
    Free Member

Dremmel-type device to cut a long thin strip out of the old frame along the route of the hose, hopefully that will be obvious, should just come out in one piece then, just be careful not to go too deep and damage the brake hose. Probbly best to do it in small sections.

Scapegoat

Not good news I’m afraid, you’re going to have to bleed it afterwards, but if you undo the hose at the lever in-line connector and make sure you don’t lose too much fluid, bleeding shouldn’t be that much of a nightmare. As a precaution buy yourself a new spigot and olive for when you put it back together, it’s the only way you’ll guarantee a fluid-tight seal on the rejoined hose. Also, get yourself to the nearest vets and beg a large syringe off them, then get some 4mm wiper hose and a bottle of mineral oil brake fluid from your local car part dealer and save yourself a fortune over a proprietary bleed kit.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Just do it carefully!

I’ve done mine a few times. You might need to remove the fitting from the end of the hose too. Make sure you don’t squeeze the lever or push in the pistons, and you should be alright.

But bleeding really isn’t that hard if it all goes wrong anyway.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Removing rear brake from an Orange 5 without needing to bleed it afterwards?’ is closed to new replies.