Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Removing powder coating?
  • psychle
    Free Member

Just had a set of XT cranks polished and clear powdercoated, they look rather lovely (pics to follow if you're interested). Problem is, the powdercoater has also covered the axle and the splines on the end, so now it all won't go back together 🙁

I guess I need to strip this excess coating off, but what toxic chemical should I use?

cheers 🙂

w1lksy
    Free Member

Nitromors works well.

hora
    Free Member

How does Nitromores affect steel?

wwaswas

not at all.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

nitromors won't affect steel, but I'm not sure it affects powdercoat either? Its intended for solvent based paints, works OKish on water based paints, didnt think it did much to powdercoat other than soften it.

rob1984p
    Free Member

Nitromors removed the original powdercoat from my Orange 223 (i'm 99% positive it was powder and not paint) although it took a little work to get it to be effective in the welds. Your other option is fine emery (BE VERY CAREFULL, DO NOT MAKE YOUR AXLE UNDERSIZED) Any decent bicycle shop will have the taps to clean up the threads and you could use Nitromors and wire wool to clean up the spline.

I would be wary of using nitromors for much of the job in case you get it on the bits you don't want to. Oh and be warned when it goes on your skin it hurts and when it gets in your eyes it hurts like f***.

I have a set of these which I bought when I was at SJS, I expect they still keep them but are out of stock as they aren't on the website, they will be great for this and many future jobs;
    http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?ID=86167

hora
    Free Member

nitromors won't affect steel, but I'm not sure it affects powdercoat either? Its intended for solvent based paints, works OKish on water based paints, didnt think it did much to powdercoat other than soften it.

I think(?) the on-one 456 is paint not powdercoated?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think(?) the on-one 456 is paint not powdercoated?

who mentioned 456's?

hora
    Free Member

who mentioned 456's?

Oops sorry for the hijack!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Removing powder coating?’ is closed to new replies.