Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Removing crown race from forks
  • cakefest
    Free Member

Have a nice set of forks from my bro waiting to be used, but they’ve got a crown race on there. What’s the bestest/safest/neatest way to get it off of? Thanks.

FuzzyWuzzy

I resorted to a big flathead screwdriver and hammer, it wasn’t particularly pretty. I did think about using the Dremmel on it but with my skills the chances of not cutting into the steerer seemed slim.

dans160
    Free Member

What he said. And use proper hammer and don’t forget to use the North South East West method either.

wwaswas

best is to use a crown race removal tool, cheapest is flat screwdriver and a hammer. latter likely to damage paint on fork crown a bit though, however careful you are.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

If there is no gap or its small, try tapping a kitchen knife in first and work it around the circumference. Should give you something to tap your screwdriver off of.

finbar
    Free Member

I use a hammer and a bit of hardwood rather than a chisel/screwdriver. Less potential for gouging things and it still works.

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Chinese cleaver and hammer every time

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

if you want to re-use the race then tap it with something softer than a steel screwdriver. I tapped a King one off using a piece of copper pipe (and the NSEW method to “work” it off) and both it and the fork are pristine.

cakefest
    Free Member

it’s off. nicely. best way for getting the right crown race on there??

mtbfix

I use a hammer and large, flat screwdriver. However Ice Toolz do a £20 tol for the job that would do a cleaner and better job of the removal. £20 you’ll only have to spend once.

Nobby

I use a piece of 4×2 with a 30mm hole drilled in it & a rubber mallet for getting ’em on.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Having used a mallet and screwdriver on my last crown race, and making a right pigs ear out it (not to mention turning the air blue and marking the fork crown) , I think I’ll spend a few quid and get the right tool for the job, makeing life just that bit easier for myself.

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/38/e251/ice-toolz-crown-race-remover.html

ChrisHeath

30mm pvc pipe cut to length makes a great crown race fitter. I’ve fitted loads of crown races with the same bit of pipe.

epicyclo

A packet of biscuits and offer to make the tea at your lbs. Proper tool, one whack and it’s off.

drew

+1 YoKaiser. I put the knife inside a thin plastic/latex glove to protect the fork crown. Most knives have a tapered blade and by working your way round you can make enough space for a screwdriver to fit.

chvck
    Free Member

For getting it on I used 1.5metre piece of iron piping and just dropped it onto the race…it worked

seanodav
    Free Member

The plastic tube from a vacuum cleaner works a treat, just the right size, well mine was anyway! 😉

Edit: thats for putting it back on obviously.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Stanley knife blade first. Then screwdriver.

sockpuppet

lbs, and a few quid.

how often will you use the tool, really?

mlke
    Free Member

I bought a crown race removal toy for under £20 from ebay.
    It’s good to have tools.

misterfrostie
    Free Member

I knock my crown races on using that 30mm plastic tube. Works a treat. I get em off with a screwdriver and hammer or if there is no gap I use an old wood chisel. That works a treat too 8)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Removing crown race from forks’ is closed to new replies.