Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • Removing cranks from a square taper BB…
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Does this mean he needs ANOTHER THREAD to choose what to replace this with?

Kryton57

Well, the latter irony is that its all done, and I was able to turn the BB by hand and remove it. The 105 HT2 fits straight in nicely.

Here’s the damage; Now I’ve stopped panicking all of the marks are white paint except for the middle on of the three on the left where you can see some alu.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wDRUb9]image[/url]

I’d better place that Merlin order now I guess.

Oh, and I’ll never by anything with square taper again…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh, and I’ll never by anything with square taper again…

LOL, you chose not to use the right tools.

Classic “bad workman”…

Kryton57

Well to be fair, the puller stripped the threads, and I had turned it right in with a spanner…

Hmmm, can I trust the above. N+(N-1)1?

cynic-al
    Free Member

In that case you can kind of blame the tool (and I don’t mean you) 😀

Kryton57

I’m happy to be the tool on this occasion. I’ll never be letting an angle grinder near one of my bikes again either.

ton

best thread for ages….had me in stiches.

ineptness at it’s best…… ;o)

Kryton57

Hmm there’s a Kinesis race light frame in the clasifieds in my size for £160. Maybe I should cut my losses and put the 105 on that, I’ve aleays like them.

But will it take guards…

IGMC

bikebouy
    Free Member

Get.
    It.

Kryton57

You are joking aren’t you?

boblo
    Free Member

Cut my losses…. Tee hee 🙂 You are a prize plonka Rodney. We’ve all bollixed things up by being cack handed but that made me feel better. Sorry.

Square taper is fine…really. But not if you’re a complete mechanical numpty and ignore it. Get a shop to fit the nice 105 kit…please 🙂

Kryton57

I can build bikes from the ground up, no problem with that. I just ballsed up with that crank and an angle grinder in unpractised hands added the comedy value.

I can see the funny side, I just hope the frame holds out. I rode a Trek mtb once where unknown to me the cable had rubbed a hole in the TT near the seat post. That never failed, and this is a road rather than mountain bike despite it being near a crucial juncture.

teasel
    Free Member

Kin ells bells! You made it look some sort of spare appendage for a T-1000 in the pic on the other page.

Should’ve popped over… 🙂

Edit : How deep are the cuts you’ve made?

Kryton57

Edit : How deep are the cuts you’ve made?

Well, they are just where the grinder “skated” across the frame – the 3 on the left were a single event, but it bounced. The middle of the three is the worst, is through the paint and has started on the aluminium – about 0.5mm?

The chain stay is just the paint.

I am nervous though.

gonzy
    Free Member

I am nervous though.

it should be fine. ride it until it does break then get a new frame….that way you can start another thread where you cock up taking the new crankset off!! 😆

Kryton57

Lol. I’ve had another look at this morning with fresh eyes. The pic above exaggerates the size, the biggest is about 2.5mm across. Its also in an area which is double butted, and as mentioned 3 of the 4 is just paint.

Now waiting for my 105 groupset and Mrs K with some black nail varnish to arrive…

Yak

Good work. A fine save in the face of a destructive defeat 🙂

fasthaggis

Kryton later today 🙂

allan23
    Free Member

Just paint over the chips and ride it.

Remember someone I rode with years ago with a Zaskar LE that had two v shaped grooves in the stays from some huge (at the time) Tioga tyres.

boblo
    Free Member

Is Mrs K a Goth? 🙂

natrix
    Free Member

I’d love to see you build a frame 😆 😆

Kryton57

I’ve built several Without mishap, all within 1/2 day from the ground up, none have fallen apart.

Just because I made a misjudgment this once in my haste, doesn’t mean I’m completely clueless thanks.

natrix
    Free Member

Not build up a bike, build a frame, you know cutting tubes, brazing them together etc………….

gonzy
    Free Member

Just because I made a misjudgment this once in my haste, doesn’t mean I’m completely clueless thanks.

you’re only as good as your last performance!

1/2 a day to build a bike? you should lay off the beer/tea/coffee and concentrate more on the job at hand…takes me just over an hour

Kryton57

you’re only as good as your last performance!

Well, Ok.

But that 1/2 day – I like to take my time and get everything just right / cut cleanly (usually)…

fasthaggis

takes me just over an hour

You is #totsamazingballs 😛

boblo
    Free Member

Yeah but would you want to ride it? 🙂

smurfly13
    Free Member

That was an awesome read! Thank you!

gonzy
    Free Member

You is #totsamazingballs

i know…:D

Yeah but would you want to ride it?

i’m still alive…just about 😛

teasel
    Free Member

I am nervous though.

Yeah, I would be, too. If it’s any consolation my neighbour’s Scale 30 from 12 years ago managed to have a triangular hole put it in by some sort of trail debris – about an inch up the down tube from the BB area. His ridden that without worry since it happened. Admittedly he doesn’t ride with same frequency as you and it’s a mountain bike but it’s a bloody great hole not a chip/slice/gouge.

Time will tell, I suppose…

breadcrumb

Bit late now but you shouldn’t really use regular cutting discs on aluminum, it can cause the disc to explode.

I use grinders on a daily basis- I wouldn’t of liked my first go with one being to remove a crack arm!

Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Removing cranks from a square taper BB…’ is closed to new replies.