Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • removing CL rotor
  • hainman
    Free Member

hi guys,ive just ordered a new 203mm shimano CL rotor to go with my xt brakes.silly question but never had to remove a CL rotor before so im wondering what tool do i need and do i have to remove the QL on the front wheel as it looks as though it would hinder any socket or whatever you have to use to untighten and tighten the CL lock nut.any help would be greatly appreciated

firestarter
    Free Member

cassette tool mate and yes remove qr. I actually put it back in as my tool allows me to that way it keeps it steady in place easier

hainman
    Free Member

cheers mate,another silly question but how do you take off the QL??is it just a case of unscrewing it or do you need to unbolt anything??

cynic-al
    Free Member

unscrew end cap, simples.

stevenieve
    Free Member

Cassette tool? thought CL rotors needed a bottom bracket tool?

namastebuzz
    Free Member

hainman
    Free Member

namastebuzz thqat tool looks like a kind off spanner the lock ring looks like it needs a nut or socket of some kind as its flat and that tool doesnt look like it would grip the lock ring unless im mistaken..

BigGraham
    Free Member

QR centre lock rotor's use a cassette tool 15mm and 20mm through axles use an external B/B spanner

HTH

hainman
    Free Member

big graham does it state on the rotor if its 15 or 20mm??its QR wheels i have,

ratherbeintobago

big graham does it state on the rotor if its 15 or 20mm??its QR wheels i have,

AIUI, QR & 15mm have the same fitting needing a cassette lockring tool, & 20mm & Saint have the same fitting needing a BB tool..

Andy

hainman
    Free Member

cheers mate.so its the 15mm i'll need.what is saints??

simondbarnes

Not trying to be funny, but if you still can't work out what you need from the posts above then it sounds like you need to take it to a bike shop and get them to do it.

hainman
    Free Member

cheers simondbarnes i have a fair idea but wasnt sure what saint was but i didnt realise that ratherbeintabago had put up 2 links DOH,i know what i need now.its the cassette lockring.was just looking to find out how to take of qr so the cassette tool would fit onto the lockring.simples

ratherbeintobago

what is saints??

Shimano DH Groupset with a (I believe, though my knowledge of DH kit is extremely limited as my view on it tends towards St Sheldon's) 20mm through axle hub (though the rear one may be normal QR but with oversized disc centrelock ring).

was just looking to find out how to take of qr so the cassette tool would fit onto the lockring.

Unscrew the fixed end?

Andy

hainman
    Free Member

cheers andy think ive got my head around it now.i'll go to evans tomorrow as they do a tool at £6 that should work.just hope the rotor works with the xt brakes,its a shimano rt62 hope its ok wae xt calipers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘removing CL rotor’ is closed to new replies.