Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Removing bearings, frame type, both sides the same (Like a PF but pivot)
  • weeksy

Hopefully this will make sense.

So i get how to remove a bearing using a spacer etc when you’ve got one on an arm…. like a suspension bearing, using a flat on the rear with a small spacer and a cup on the outside big enough to allow it to push out…. Sure, all good on that.

However, the Kona Process has a frame/pivot pair that are the same (obviously), so if the spacer is small enough to go through the far side, it’s small enough to go through the near side too.

I was thinking about one of them 3 armed pullers… but again that has the same issue.

The only thing i could come up with was one of the split type one like a headset tool, compress the bits, through the hole and then knock it out.

it’s not pretty, but i’m struggling to come up with something else…

Am i missing something here ?

SO in the pic, it’s the ones just above the Bottom Bracket…. they’re both inserted into frame. Both same internal and external diameter

wiggles
    Free Member

Iirc there are a few little sort of cut outs on the inside of where the bearing sits, so you can get a punch against the outer race and knock them out.

I can’t remember if it is those exact bearings but definitely the case for some of them on this frame.

weeksy

wiggles – Member

Iirc there are a few little sort of cut outs on the inside of where the bearing sits, so you can get a punch against the outer race and knock them out.

I can’t remember if it is those exact bearings but definitely the case for some of them on this frame.

Yup, totally, the spacer thing in the middle has cut-outs… so you can indeed drift it out… but i really didn’t fancy brute force as an option, so was hoping for inspiration on a less vicious method. I had to give it a decent walloping to get the non-drive side one out… i was wincing at times doing it !

weeksy

So that goes through from the outside and then expands as your tighten therefore then pulling it out ?

p.s thank you 🙂

BoardinBob

Yip

Inserts inside the inner race. You then expand it so it grips the bearing. Screw on the slide hammer. Couple of dunts and it pops the bearing out.

welshfarmer

If you are lucky you might find a rawl bolt the right size to work as a puller

BoardinBob

Blind bearing puller is one of the best tools I’ve bought. Done frame and wheel bearings with ease. Even rescued wrecked bearings from the frame or hub when the outer race was stuck in.

kimbers

I bought a cheap bearing puller off eBay to remove my Process bearings, it broke

I hammered them out with a bodged drift

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Removing bearings, frame type, both sides the same (Like a PF but pivot)’ is closed to new replies.