Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • removing bb30 adapter sleeve
  • karnali
    Free Member

Have a carbon road bike that is bb30 but has an adapter shell to take normal bb. I assume it is porbably loctited in, any tips for removal or is it likely to be a pita?

ta

LeeW

Was it in their when you bought the bike? Could you contact the manufacturer to find out if it is Loctited in?

geordiepaul
    Free Member

Even if it’s loctited in as mine was it should still knock out fairly easily using the right size socket and something to support the frame.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

A question on press-fit Bottom Brackets (never had one)..

..are they user servicable or do you have to use a bike shop to replace the BB bearings when they wear out?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Muddy dwarf, just use a headset press to press it in. My instructions said it would be difficult to remove from a carbon frame. Cant seeing it cant be much different than an alloy one.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

What do you use to get it out, and what are the advantages over a threaded system?

TBH i’m struggling to see the benefits and i fear i’ll struggle to avoid a press fit when i buy a new bike.

LeeW

It depends on what style you go for, there are several types which have different solutioins. Mine is a 46mm ID x 73mm width. I use a Praxis converter which, when installed looks just like a normal external BB. There are other options for this type which require Delrin spacers which I’ve not tried.

You can also get a Sram PF to BSA adaptor, you screw a normal BB in to it and press it in the frame. For me, the trouble is it’s made of Nylon which I don’t hold much hope for in the long term. An Alu one would be great as long as it hade a decent interface in the ctr of the BB shell.

The other type can have have up to a 92mm shell width, there are others but can’t remember the exact sizes. Hope make servicable BB’s for this type, I understand they’re making one for the other style BB shells too. King are releasing something this Spring too.

Other, more durable solutions will come soon. It;s just a matter of time. I hope.

warton
    Free Member

HIJACK!!!

I have a bb30 on my road bike. I need to replace the BB bearings. the BB is a campag ultra torque. Do I just buy the standard campag bearings? there’s no special BB30 bearings are there?

STATO
    Free Member

warton – this would suggest you need normal UT bearings, assuming its that bb you have installed (2nd pic, 1st one is the bb92 version).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘removing bb30 adapter sleeve’ is closed to new replies.