Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Removing a superstar Tesla freehub
  • dantsw13

The bearing on my Superstar Tesla freehub is seizing. Is it simple to remove the freehub aka Hope? I’ve googled, but not found a link anywhere.

4 months old btw.

chvck
    Free Member

I can’t fully remember as it’s been a while since I’ve taken mine off but I think that it’s just got an allen key to remove the endcap and then pop it off.

dantsw13

Cheers – I’ll have a look.

teamslug
    Free Member

not sure if its nay help but I’ve got a superleggera rear which I serviced recently. Think 5mm allen key takes both endcaps off and a 10mm holds the axle in. Might be different though….fwiw mine has been faultless…2 years before bearings got a bit rough.

dantsw13

Thanks – shame there’s no instructions on their site.

chvck
    Free Member

I think they’ll send you some if you email, seem to remember getting some for my old switch hub off them. Pity they don’t just have a service section though… tbf the website is quite pants in general.

andyrm
    Free Member

Use a pair of 17mm spanners, pop the end caps off and then the freehub body just pulls off by hand.

dantsw13

It is 5mm Allen keys for the end caps.

However, it isn’t the bearings – they are nice and loose, still freshly greased. The freewheel teeth just aren’t spinning properly in the housing. The pawl sand springs all appear to be functioning and in position. Back it goes then :-((

andyrm
    Free Member

It is 5mm Allen keys for the end caps.

However, it isn’t the bearings – they are nice and loose, still freshly greased. The freewheel teeth just aren’t spinning properly in the housing. The pawl sand springs all appear to be functioning and in position. Back it goes then :-((

Aaah sorry – should have said mine is 142 x 12.

Check the pawls and the ratchet ring teeth for wear.

I’ve got a spare body (1 year old, VGC) you can have for price of postage if you need it – mine is now converted to an XD body.

dantsw13

Very kind offer – thanks. I checked the pawls and ratchet teeth – everything looks perfect. I’m a little stumped, so I’ll send it back to Superstar.

I may get back to you on the body if required.

dantsw13

I’ve just received an email from Superstar – they are upgrading my hub to a Tesla Evo! Well done Superstar.

andyrm
    Free Member

Sweet!! The Evo has a bigger axle and can be upgraded to XD super easily too. You building up the wheel yourself or is it in-house? 🙂

dantsw13

No, it comes as a whole wheel! I’ve just bought the Roger Musson wheel building book though, so that’s my next project!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Removing a superstar Tesla freehub’ is closed to new replies.