Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • removing a stubborn bottom bracket
  • juiced
    Free Member

hi got to remove a square shimano bracket. think its a un one. got the tool . One side appears black plastic , one silver metal.

1) Which side do i undo? both?
    2) The thing seems in tight. how to i secure the tool so i use leverage. Tool keeps popping out. Can only think of a long bolt through the bb tool to the square tapered crank, but don’t have one of these.

cheers

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A QR might be enough to hold the tool in

juiced
    Free Member

thanks. The axle is not hollow though?

oh i see externally?

oreetmon
    Free Member

kettle full of boiling water poured slowley over offending part and put the tool in a vice, put body wieght on top of frame and cross fingers.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sorry – I thought ocatalink with a hollow spindle – my mistake. Can you not use a crank bolt to hold it on?

juiced
    Free Member

need a longer one than i have to clear the bb tool. may be the way forwards. cheers. pitch on the bb bolt looks odd though. the bolts are old basic types and undone using a socket.

probably best to use a long bolt, soak overnight in a release agent and then use a vice, using the frame for leverage.

not even sure what a release agent is though.. just read this on the web. 🙄 presumably its like plusgas

juiced
    Free Member

think this could be one for the lbs

oreetmon
    Free Member

plusgas has no affect on aluminium according to toolmaker/engineer i work with, he advised me to use boiling water.

soaked a problem aluminium calliper bolt for a week in blutac reservior and it didnt work,,,, boiling water worked better for me.

try both.

jam-bo

Tool in a vice. Use the frame as leverage.

juiced
    Free Member

thanks so much. Will give it ago.

boxfish
    Free Member

Try and find one of these

It screws into the BB axle and you use a large spanner to turn it and unscrew the BB.

juiced
    Free Member

ok thanks.

bassspine
    Free Member

start with the left hand side. normal thread. then right hand side, anticlockwise thread. often the rh one is easier to turn once the left is out

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘removing a stubborn bottom bracket’ is closed to new replies.