Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Removing a Smoothie Mixer headset from a Carbon 456 frame
  • shedfull
    Free Member

Has anyone done this? The bearing is press fitted into the cup and the cup is press fitted into the aluminium mount that’s resined into the frame. Driving the cup out with a drift or headset remover would put a lot of strain on the resin fixing for the ally mount, I think.

It’s an odd design. Carbon frames usually have drop in bearings. Lots of headsets have replaceable bearings. This seems to have neither.

Cheers,

Ian

andyl
    Free Member

the bearing will just come out of the headset cup if you need to change it.

If you need to remove the whole cup then gentle tapping will be needed on any lip you can find.

shedfull
    Free Member

I’ll give it a go – the bearing seemed to be in quite tight. Trouble is, I have a spare Smoothie Mixer and risk damaging the bearing in that, removing it to put it in the cup on the frame.

Cheers for the advice.

andyl
    Free Member

some gentle persuasion should get the bearing out.

Northwind

I knocked mine out just like any other headset- wee bit awkward to get a good hit on the headset though, because of the shape of the headtube.

dantsw13

There is a ridge inside the headset that any deep headset cup sits up against, making it hard to get any headset tool up against. Bearings should be a lot easier to remove.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Removing a Smoothie Mixer headset from a Carbon 456 frame’ is closed to new replies.